NEW TIME for OKC Rifle Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

After watching my dismal performance on the long range stage I had a few questions for yous guys.

I struggled with the 300 yard shots on the frst two positions. It took 4-5 shots on each and 300 yard target when I engaged it first. It took me 8 seconds to get my first shot off on the first 300 yard target. The same problem occurred on the 2nd position. The 3rd position I hit every shot one-for-one by working short to long.

What do you guys do for long range shooting as far as distant target engagement is concerned? Is is faster to work long to short or short to long. Form this video it appears as though short to long is better for me but I haven't run the scenerio enough personally to know for sure.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My secret is to just hit them on the first shot each, then it doesn't matter the order. It is much easier that way. Quit worrying about it so much. Go out there, get prone and try it each way and do what is comfortable for YOU!

M

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My secret is to just hit them on the first shot each, then it doesn't matter the order. It is much easier that way. Quit worrying about it so much. Go out there, get prone and try it each way and do what is comfortable for YOU!

M

From the one guy I was expecting a technical thought out tried and true answer I only get a smart ass comment. Nice!

James and I discussed the topic after watching Chris win the stage hou g short to long and James and I going long to short.

James felt that starting long settled him down more and then he could get ramped up for the faster closer targets.

I am leaning towards short to long so that if I don't get into my position as good as I would lime I can still hit the close ones somewhat easily. I also feel that my heart Tate and breathing slow down as the time progresses.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hehehe. I usually shoot left to right. If that is ling first, so be it. Really though, just like pistol, train with a timer both ways and see which is faster. I know a pretty good rifle shooter that shoots it both ways.

Chris_Andersen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I chose to go short to long because it felt most comfortable in my walk through. In my mind at least, I felt like it gave me a chance to settle in for the longer ones. I did rush the closer shots though, particularly on the steel more than I probably should have (Plus I kept forgetting to hold low enough for my zero on the steel. Thanks to your camera work, I can see that even the ones that hit, hit the very top of the target) I had spots all picked out on the paper, and it was easy to remember on those shots.

Then I got a little too cocky on that last 300yrd shot and wasted 3 extra shots when I shouldn't have. I think like Mike says, it is whatever you are comfortable with. I could have slowed down probably 10% or so and been a lot better off on every stage Sunday. It sure was fun either way though.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I chose to go short to long because it felt most comfortable in my walk through. In my mind at least, I felt like it gave me a chance to settle in for the longer ones.

I didn't shoot this match but have been following your comments. I have been thinking about this and am thinking the mind side of it is a lot more important than the physical most of the time. I can shoot a stage every once in awhile really well and beat people much better than me and when it happens, I always feel really good going into the stage and think "I can do this". I just need to figure out how to turn my mind on like that all the time. I just got Lanny Basham's book "With Winning in Mind" and am hoping it will help with the mental side of this game. All that to say, Chris shot well because it felt comfortable to him and in his mind, it was right. We have got to get it right in our minds to shoot well.

sparks40

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't shoot this match but have been following your comments. I have been thinking about this and am thinking the mind side of it is a lot more important than the physical most of the time. I can shoot a stage every once in awhile really well and beat people much better than me and when it happens, I always feel really good going into the stage and think "I can do this". I just need to figure out how to turn my mind on like that all the time. I just got Lanny Basham's book "With Winning in Mind" and am hoping it will help with the mental side of this game. All that to say, Chris shot well because it felt comfortable to him and in his mind, it was right. We have got to get it right in our minds to shoot well.

Unfortunately using "right" and "mind" in the same sentence excludes many of us who participated.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it easier to go from left to right. It feels like I am swinging a forehand swing. I'm a lefty. I don't always pick up my rifle, and I don't know if that is a bad habit. My personal opinion is that if I pivot on my support elbow, then the relationship of the rifle to my body stays the same. I've also pivoted on my magazine and drilled holes in the ground before. That is a great source of conversation for some of the simple minded folks that I hang out with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom