New to 3 gun Heavy Metal need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleBarrel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could someone please help me with the info for heavy metal. Equipment needs etc. Specific questions: can u use a red dot on the 308? does shotty need to be a pump? I have an AR10 type, an HK 45 and a Rem 870. Will that work? do you use fmj type(xm 80) or what???? How many shell holders and what type? How many mag holders? Just anything you can think of that would help me.. thanks in advance

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traditionally HM requires a single stack 1911 in .45acp, 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .308 with iron sights. There are a lot of variations to the HM rules on the major match scene. Some allow auto shotguns, some allow any .45 as long as you only load 10 rounds, and some allow optics or dot sights. If you only plan to shoot with us here locally It doesn't matter! We usually don't have any HM shooters so you could compete against yourself with what you got. Bring what you have to shoot and come play.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the ammo question you can shoot anything except on the long range stages where we shoot at steal targets. Those steel targets will hold up to anything except steel core/armor piercing ammo. Those steel targets cost $300-400. If you shoot them with a steel core/armor piercing round you just bought yourself a nice high $ target with a hole in it:)

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the shell holders I am assuming you are talking about shotshell caddies? I run 6 4 round man mountain engineering caddies. Personally I think they are the fastest out there and they definately are the lightest weight. I also keep two chowder machine and tool 6 Roy d caddies handy in case there is a big 34 round shotgun stage like last month. The best 3 gunner in the state and current limited division national champion, Kurt Miller uses 5-6 of those choate 6 rounders. California competition works also sells 4 & 6 round plastic caddies that are inexpensive. Otto shotgun products makes a nice 4 round aluminum caddie as well. It's personal preference on what you can grab ammo from best. Most guys go with the plastic ones initially just due to cost. The plastic ones run $20 each rather than the aluminum brands that run $40+ each. I have a full set of the choate 6 rounders that I kept around to borrow to new shooters because caddies are the one thing nobody every has just lying around. So if you need them at the next match squad up with me and you can work with the other new guys and use them.

On the rifle mag pouches you will eventually want one but you can run a mag out of your back pocket.

On the pistol msg pouches I like to have 2 but 1 will usually work. Again you can run out of your back pocket to get started.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a he-man competitor in my squad last weekend. He shot a single stack 45, a pump shotgun and an FAL. Watching a 308 hit targets brings a little tear of joy to my right eye. I should try heavy metal sometime.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And to pile on.. We have had at least one person shooting .308 and .45 with a pump at all of our matches at OKCGC since we started last year! :)

Most matches are allowing other than 1911's now as long as they are downloaded..

Mike

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well fuk me! I guess I haven't been paying attention to our lonely HM shooter. Maybe you should come to the match with what you have, hunt down our HM champion and ask if he minds competing with you and your gear? Or you could just shoot tactical irons and laugh at those punks when you smoke them with your big bullets and pump gun:)

Curly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could someone please help me with the info for heavy metal. Equipment needs etc. Specific questions: can u use a red dot on the 308? does shotty need to be a pump? I have an AR10 type, an HK 45 and a Rem 870. Will that work? do you use fmj type(xm 80) or what???? How many shell holders and what type? How many mag holders? Just anything you can think of that would help me.. thanks in advance
Bring what ya got,we'll furnish or loan ya what ya don't have "Ammo from WALLY WORLD or CHEAPER THAN DIRT will do nicely" ,I and possibly S. Parks will be shooting HM next 3 gun.All of us PUNKS that shoot this INSANE GAME are really good at helpin ya out and gettin ya hooked:hypnotize:

Latest posts

Top Bottom