New to long distance shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IFree87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and new to any sort of long range shooting. I've shot and been around firearms my whole life, but generally shotguns and handguns. I have a Henry Golden Boy for rabbits and the like and then purchased an Axis II in 30-06, thanks again @AFVet . My intent is to start hunting as I want to be more self sufficient. Now I have the rifle to get the job done, but am fairly clueless with optics. Long story short, what are the main qualities I should be looking for in a scope? Because I'm so new to this side of shooting I only intend to try shots 150-200yds and under until I build some confidence.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
For starters with a rifle in that range, I think you should be looking at Vortex. Get something medium zoom, say a 3-9 or 4-12. If you are going to be hunting at dusk where light will be waning badly, then an illuminated reticle will help. Larger objective gathers more light, as well. Plan on spending $100-200 on a scope and you will get something basic but very serviceable for what you are planning. Other brands to look at are Burris, Leupold, Athlon and more. A larger tube (24mm, 30mm, 34mm) will allow for more adjustment which will help with longer ranges, but I don't think that's going to be a major factor in your first scope and shooting shorter ranges like you're talking about.

Honestly, I think for you a Vortex 3-9 or 4-12 Crossfire II would be about perfect to get your feet wet.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with @tRidiot. As you get deeper into the black hole money pit of long range shooting optics, there are some features that are nice to have. First focal plane (FFP) is a must, in my opinion, as you stretch out for further shots. Having a zero stop feature for your elevation turret is also another very nice feature to have if you decide to build a dedicated long range rig. There is a common saying when people ask what scope they should buy, and it was said told to me in the past: Buy the best one you can afford. This will ring true if you want to start shooting long range. Any of the optics that @tRidiot mentioned earlier should suit you nicely for your hunting purposes though.

One of the best things you can do, regardless of what scope you end up buying, is to get accurate D.O.P.E data for your rifle & hunting round. Get chrono data and build a D.O.P.E chart or download a free app for your phone and input your data. Study it enough to learn how to make adjustments on the fly. At 150-200 yards, it won't be an issue. As you get further out, it will be a necessity.

IFree87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For starters with a rifle in that range, I think you should be looking at Vortex. Get something medium zoom, say a 3-9 or 4-12. If you are going to be hunting at dusk where light will be waning badly, then an illuminated reticle will help. Larger objective gathers more light, as well. Plan on spending $100-200 on a scope and you will get something basic but very serviceable for what you are planning. Other brands to look at are Burris, Leupold, Athlon and more. A larger tube (24mm, 30mm, 34mm) will allow for more adjustment which will help with longer ranges, but I don't think that's going to be a major factor in your first scope and shooting shorter ranges like you're talking about.

Honestly, I think for you a Vortex 3-9 or 4-12 Crossfire II would be about perfect to get your feet wet.

I had heard Vortex would be a good starting point. I'm not necessarily worried as much on the money, I just don't want to make a foolish purchase. I appreciate this info. As far as distance is concerned a 4-12 would allow me to reach out quite a bit farther than the 150-200 yards I mentioned right?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had heard Vortex would be a good starting point. I'm not necessarily worried as much on the money, I just don't want to make a foolish purchase. I appreciate this info. As far as distance is concerned a 4-12 would allow me to reach out quite a bit farther than the 150-200 yards I mentioned right?
Absolutely and then some!

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most certainly. I see guys out at Fouled Bore ringing the 1000 yard steel on their 4-12's all the time. For hunting, it's more than sufficient.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely, as you will hear many times as you get into more long distance, the extreme magnification is more of a detriment. Learning to shoot the basics with modest mag will do a lot for your skills and confidence.

Don't get me wrong... I am still very new to long distance and myself haven't shot out beyond 300 yet. I had a rifle built this year that will stretch to 1200-1500 and beyond, but I am slowly learning the basics to work my way out there before jumping in the deep end. Unfortunately 2020 has been a beast for many of us and has limited some of my opportunity in that regard.

I have the equipment, now I just need to work on the technique.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely, as you will hear many times as you get into more long distance, the extreme magnification is more of a detriment. Learning to shoot the basics with modest mag will do a lot for your skills and confidence.

Don't get me wrong... I am still very new to long distance and myself haven't shot out beyond 300 yet. I had a rifle built this year that will stretch to 1200-1500 and beyond, but I am slowly learning the basics to work my way out there before jumping in the deep end. Unfortunately 2020 has been a beast for many of us and has limited some of my opportunity in that regard.

I have the equipment, now I just need to work on the technique.
I remember seeing your long range rifle at the Ponca ENS. It sure was a beauty. One of these days we need to get you down to this part of the state and out to Fouled Bore. 300 yards isn't a short shot, but it is a chip shot for your rifle!

Latest posts

Top Bottom