New to sbrs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a pap m92 ak pistol and later adding a stock to it. I found a folding stock that you attach in a similar manner to the arm braces. A lot easier than having someone drill out the truniuon and attaching the stock. I was gonna put a brace on it first until I get the tax stamp back. Can I order the stock now? I wouldn't attach it until get the stamp back of course. Just have the extra money right now to go ahead and get the stock.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a pap m92 ak pistol and later adding a stock to it. I found a folding stock that you attach in a similar manner to the arm braces. A lot easier than having someone drill out the truniuon and attaching the stock. I was gonna put a brace on it first until I get the tax stamp back. Can I order the stock now? I wouldn't attach it until get the stamp back of course. Just have the extra money right now to go ahead and get the stock.

Short answer, no.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short answer, no.

Nikat is correct. See the answer to question 12 at the following link:

http://www.nibin.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

Q: May a FFL or an individual legally possess the parts to manufacture an SBR or SBS as long as no firearms are actually assembled?

A FFL (Type-7 or Type-10) who pays the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) may possess parts required to assemble NFA firearms. A non-licensee or FFL who has not paid the SOT is required to register any NFA firearm via an ATF Form 1 (5320.1) prior to acquisition of the parts required to assemble such firearm.

Last edited:

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the grey area that confuses me, if I have a pistol and a rifle that's kosher, but what if I have a built pistol and a stock just as spare parts is that safe? Or is the issue if I have a stock ear marked for it just waiting on the paperwork?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That's the grey area that confuses me, if I have a pistol and a rifle that's kosher, but what if I have a built pistol and a stock just as spare parts is that safe? Or is the issue if I have a stock ear marked for it just waiting on the paperwork?

You should never have all the parts available to complete the transition.

For instance, I have 2 AR rifles, and the AR pistol. Having the parts installed on the other guns does NOT constitute constructive intent.

However having the parts necessary to make it a rifle in your parts bin does.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotcha, that kind of puts a damper on things if you say got a bunch of spare parts in a trade or you switched from fixed stock to an adjustable one on a different rifle in the middle of a sbr build.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. I think the "constructive intent" is bogus myself. Beyond the whole SBR thing in the first place. How far could they take it?

I own a hacksaw, does that mean I have constructive intent to own a bunch of SBRs and SBSs? What's to stop me from swapping uppers and having a 20" barreled pistol and an SBR? I own the tools to take the uppers apart and swap barrels also.

Being alone with a 12 year old girl doesn't make me guilty of rape, or owning a fast car doesn't make me guilty reckless driving, but somehow owning spare parts for my rifles means I'm breaking the NFA?

Latest posts

Top Bottom