Newbie looking for a 1903 Springfield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdpratt41

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im new here and this is my first post. I'm not much of an expert on guns or buying them yet so I'm going to post this here. I'm hoping to get a nice 1903 Springfield soon and was wondering if anyone here had any advice on how to go about that here in Oklahoma. Should I stick to the internet or is there somewhere that has some occasionally? Or should I wait until the big gun show in Tulsa in November for the best shot? Im from Norman if that helps with my questions at all.

I'm looking to balance quality and price of course. I'd love to be able to get a "correct" rifle (whether original or an original WWII rebuild) rather than a hodgepodge of parts. And I'd like for it to be fairly well taken care of and in shooting condition. Preferably no rust or pitting to have to deal with nor a completely decimated stock. I'm slightly picky as you can tell but also trying to work on a budget of no more than $1000 if possible. I know the more I spend on it the nicer I could get but I'd like to find an appropriate balance on it.

Any help or insight into my search for one of my dream guns would be much appreciated. I've got the ache for one now like I had for a Garand a couple years ago. I'm going to attempt to remain patient in my search until I find a beauty that I can shoot and take care of at a price I can still afford. I hope the question is appropriate for this forum and topic and hope the newbie question doesn't bother anyone. Look forward to getting to know everyone and interact in the years to come I hope!

Thanks guys!

Dillon

pdpratt41

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks! I had stumbled across Armslist but not the other two. I'll keep an eye on all of them in hopes of finding a good one. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Also if anyone has any insight on what to look for when buying one of these things that would be appreciated also.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For $1K, you can find a very nice M1903 or 03A3. Decent ones usually run around $700-800 for an 03A3 with even parkerizing and wear and no major damage to the stock. You'll find them all day long at Wanenmacher, though the owners might have a rather inflated idea of their worth (the rifle, I mean - well, maybe the owner too :wink2: ) As others here have said, keep an eye on Gunbroker, Armslist, Gunboards Classifieds, and the CMP Forum classifieds. I would not recommend a Gibbs rifle though, as these days those usually are gussied-up drill rifles that often cost more than a real '03 in original condition.

If you're going to shoot it regularly, and I'm sure you already know this, try to avoid a M1903 with a S/N below about 800K. The steel used for those receivers isn't quite as strong as in the later receivers. Any 03A3 will be fine in this regard.

pdpratt41

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This is all good stuff. I have a lot of new sites to look at and check out. I'm definitely more in the market for an original than a refurbished. Just my own love for history that makes me that way I guess. And I prefer the look of a 1903 over the 03A3 personally. Yea I've finally figured out that whole 800K serial number thing.

Inflated prices was definitely my fear about a big gun show so that's the only reason I gave $1K as my price range, but if I can find a pretty one in good shape on one of these websites for $800 and it would have cost $1K at the gun show that would be a big victory for me on my budget. You guys feel free to come in here and shout at me if you see something pop up somewhere that you think I should take a look at. I'll keep checking in here every day and be reading the rest of the boards for fun too.

Thanks again! Glad to see such helpful people on here!

Latest posts

Top Bottom