This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasteph

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I sent my wife a picture of a Lee single stage press. I told her that they probably would not last long in would be gone shortly. 10 minutes later she sent me a text saying merry Christmas. So I am the proud owner of a Lee single stage press.

I've never reloaded any kind of bullets nor have I been around somebody that has. I am only planning on loading 9 mm, 6.5 Grendel and 223. I have been watching every video that I can find interesting on YouTube. I also found out that finding reloading equipment is about as difficult as finding ammunition these days. I am only planning to load for plinking purposes and deer hunting in the fall.

I have also noticed that the die sets come in singles, two die sets, 3 or 4 die sets. Show and really not sure which ones to buy. I am also looking at books to buy To help me to gain a better understanding.

Send planning on going to the gun show tomorrow in Oklahoma City to see if I might be able to pick up some of the needed items. The friend at work was going to introduce me to his dad who is an avid reloading person but my friend came down with covidso that's not available at this time.

Any help, guidance, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Think you for taking the time to read this and Think you for listening to my rambling.

Attachments

• 20201211_181913.jpg
    20201211_181913.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to OSA and congrats on the new Lee press. I am sure you will get lots of information on your press and reloading in general here on the forum. Bunch of knowledgeable folks here.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For pistol go I with the LEE 4 die set.
You get the much desired LEE carbide factory crimp die.
Watch out for gun show stuff some of that stuff is way worn out bad.
Dies that are not carbide for pistol and very scratched up.

Some die sets have the bullet seat and crimp die in one die.
I do not like those at all.
I do not crimp my loads and for loads in other guns that need a crimp I like the LEE crimp dies.

Now on Rifle dies I like the LEE RGB die sets. Or a 3 Die set
The 3 Die rifle set will have the shell holder and load data and a 2 die set will have the Full length die and the bullet seating die.

For my .223 and .308 those 2 dies are all I use.

Did the Wife get you a Single stage Cast Iron press with primer seating ability???
Some LEE Presses do not have the built in primer seating and you will need a primer seating die.

If you hunt with the .223 or just plink I will say all My .223 and 5.56 rifles LOVE the Hornady 55 gr V-Max.
1:7 to 1:9 twist does not matter those things shoot excellent and it is like waving a magic death wand at a deer or hog
or any critter you stick one of those into.

The lead tipped spitzer 55 gr Hornady is not a good killing bullet.
Well not as good as the V-Max.
The V-Max is like tossing a hand grenade into an animal.
The lead tipped bullet will mushroom but NO great explosion or shock factor with it.

I use a Lyman VLD chamfer on the rifle case mouths .
And a LEE case length gauge and shell holder and lock stud and cutter to trim the rifle cases.

You can make a homemade pin tumbler on the very cheap and make pins to clean with on the cheap also if you are crafty.

I no longer clean cases in a vibratory cleaner.
I will wipe off the case with a cloth and brush the necks with a bore brush before I will wait for the vibratory
to attempt to clean a case.

OK so the vibratory will clean cases but I can't deal with the dust.
Yes you can add stuff to eliminate some of the dust and I have cleaned many thousands of cases in one but not in todays time.

If you do use a vibratory make sure all dust is removed from the cases inside and out.
Bust will scratch dies and cases and if scratches bother you then just know that.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Components are going to be your biggest hurdle right now. Primers and brass for the Grendel especially. 223 won’t be much of an issue. It ‘used’ to be the only brass laying on the range. That’s probably changed by now!
I’d recommend not paying gun show prices for anything right now. I can’t blame the dealers for wanting to make a buck, but there won’t be any deals even if you find what you want.

rasteph

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
For pistol go I with the LEE 4 die set.
You get the much desired LEE carbide factory crimp die.
Watch out for gun show stuff some of that stuff is way worn out bad.
Dies that are not carbide for pistol and very scratched up.

Some die sets have the bullet seat and crimp die in one die.
I do not like those at all.
I do not crimp my loads and for loads in other guns that need a crimp I like the LEE crimp dies.

Now on Rifle dies I like the LEE RGB die sets. Or a 3 Die set
The 3 Die rifle set will have the shell holder and load data and a 2 die set will have the Full length die and the bullet seating die.

For my .223 and .308 those 2 dies are all I use.

Did the Wife get you a Single stage Cast Iron press with primer seating ability???
Some LEE Presses do not have the built in primer seating and you will need a primer seating die.

If you hunt with the .223 or just plink I will say all My .223 and 5.56 rifles LOVE the Hornady 55 gr V-Max.
1:7 to 1:9 twist does not matter those things shoot excellent and it is like waving a magic death wand at a deer or hog
or any critter you stick one of those into.

The lead tipped spitzer 55 gr Hornady is not a good killing bullet.
Well not as good as the V-Max.
The V-Max is like tossing a hand grenade into an animal.
The lead tipped bullet will mushroom but NO great explosion or shock factor with it.

I use a Lyman VLD chamfer on the rifle case mouths .
And a LEE case length gauge and shell holder and lock stud and cutter to trim the rifle cases.

You can make a homemade pin tumbler on the very cheap and make pins to clean with on the cheap also if you are crafty.

I no longer clean cases in a vibratory cleaner.
I will wipe off the case with a cloth and brush the necks with a bore brush before I will wait for the vibratory
to attempt to clean a case.

OK so the vibratory will clean cases but I can't deal with the dust.
Yes you can add stuff to eliminate some of the dust and I have cleaned many thousands of cases in one but not in todays time.

If you do use a vibratory make sure all dust is removed from the cases inside and out.
Bust will scratch dies and cases and if scratches bother you then just know that.
Thank you!!! Kinda nice to be able to reach out and get such a response. Thank you for your time. I will work on getting some of this stuff.

Is there a shop in OKC/TULSA where someone can look around..kinda hands on instead of window shopping the web?

Latest posts

Top Bottom