NICS Background Check "Delay"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not if you are getting a routine Secret/Top Secret DoD clearance....it is done by the DSS and/or OPM, whoever is in charge these days. Often it is actually a civilian contractor for the OPM/DSS. Other agencies use the SF-86 and other agencies conduct those background checks, like the FBI. The FBI does get involved in some military investigations, like Presidential Access programs, but not your average military clearance.

The context of the post you are quoting me from is me speaking to the urban legend, that often comes from GIs or ex-GIs, that their clearance, even their basic dime-a-dozen-entrance Secret, is what is causing the delay.

I submit that it's not the reason for Private Snuffy's or Airman Joey-bag-o-donuts' delay, and there is no connection between National Security Clearances, issued by any authorized agency, and the NCIC.

This proves to me that you are DHS operative.

twistedbullet

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father was delayed and after three days nics called and denied his request, he has been delayed everytime but this is his first denial. The only thing we could think of was that he was paying off a ticket that he got pulled over for. Would this cause for him to be denied? He is in the middle of the appeal process, will that help?

myappliancestore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get delayed all three times I have tried but never denied. Unsure of any reason for delay. Will probably get the UPIN number in the near future. Does anyone know what happens if you try to buy a gun from out of area dealer at a gun show and get delayed? Do they ship it? Do they cancel the sale?

Latest posts

Top Bottom