No Hog Hunting at KAW this year

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watch for Oklahoma to follow Missouri's lead and ban hog hunting. There's a multitude of issues with the sport such as fenced pigs escaping and people transporting them to other parts of the state to release in the wild to build a population to hunt. They are a growing invasive species and trapping is a more effective method of eradication than hunting them. I predict that in a few years, hunting them will be banned, not just on state property.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watch for Oklahoma to follow Missouri's lead and ban hog hunting. There's a multitude of issues with the sport such as fenced pigs escaping and people transporting them to other parts of the state to release in the wild to build a population to hunt. They are a growing invasive species and trapping is a more effective method of eradication than hunting them. I predict that in a few years, hunting them will be banned, not just on state property.

Back around 2000, I wrote a nice letter to the then-head of the ODWC, and all the state reps on the Wildlife Commission. I explained the contact information sharing that New Mexico did with landowners, and shared some helpful info I had exchanged with the then-publisher of Boar Hunter magazine. (Louisiana fellow, and well experienced with hog invasion)

Only one of the 9 reps bothered to reply, his reply was basically "thanks for your input".
The then-ODWC head replied also, it was "thanks, but we're the experts, and we've got this".

They can all kiss my hairy butt, they were arrogant fools then, and I hope they're happy. I shall continue to hunt pigs on private property, as long as there are pigs to hunt. I'm not inclined to follow anybody's rules when they took exactly zero steps to combat this when the invasion was just getting started.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My place is in one of the couple or three counties in OK that doesn’t have a pig population, and the county game warden told me a little about the “test” the state is doing at Kaw and another WMA I can’t remember. He said they’re modeling it after Kansas.
Texas went from a decent problem to a huge problem and now many don’t want to solve because they’re all making beaucoup $ off of it.
You’re exactly right!!! Pigs are totally out of control in Texas, and it will never be addressed at a state level because too many influential people are making a boat load of money off hog hunting.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My place is in one of the couple or three counties in OK that doesn’t have a pig population, and the county game warden told me a little about the “test” the state is doing at Kaw and another WMA I can’t remember. He said they’re modeling it after Kansas.

You’re exactly right!!! Pigs are totally out of control in Texas, and it will never be addressed at a state level because too many influential people are making a boat load of money off hog hunting.
Waurika, I believe.

I still can't fathom why the heck Oklahoma allows the transport and sale of live hogs (license or not). Absolutely stupid and contributing to the problem.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My .02 cents worth is this just on my land.

I’ve got 4 places that my wife and I own and they all have/had hogs on them. One place is so rough that I don’t dare have a bale in the Deweze when I’m feeding cattle cause it’ll have the arms ripped off from falling in a hog wallow.

If the state ever does put a ban on killing hogs on private land, well some of ya’ll may have to post bail for me, cause I’m killing everyone I get a chance to.

The coyotes will be eating good in the neighborhood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom