Noise Canceling Electronic Ear Muffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a cheap pair from walmart. They work fine and I can hear when there isn't an active loud noise. They can be a little over sensitive, even snapping fingers will cut the sound but never had an issue of things being too loud with them. I wouldn't really call them active noise canceling more of a sound pass through with a cutoff over a certain DB. Makes it a lot easier to hear what is going on around you and not need to pull plugs or remove the muff to hear. But I have issues hearing conversations when there is background noise which is why I don't go to bars or parties. I can hear just fine but can not separate out what is being said from the background.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a cheap pair of Walker's that work really well! Can still have a decent conversation while drowning out the sharpness of the gunshot. They also have a port to connect your phone if you're into that.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we may have some confusion here. Active noise cancellation isn't the same as having an amplified muff that cuts out in response to loud noises. The Walker Game Ear is the latter, as are my Peltors, and a few other things. NightShade describes them correctly, particularly with regard to the idea of a finger snap causing a temporary cutout.

Active noise cancellation means that the unit constantly listens to the incoming sound and actively generates an identical sound wave, of opposite phase, to actually make the noise go away. My aviation headset does this; when I turn the power off (or take the battery out), it gets noticeably louder (though still not as loud as not having any muff on). Different technology entirely.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly recommend you try the Harbor Freight ones for the casual shooter. I tried a pair of them 3-4 years ago when they were on sale for $14, went back and purchased 3 more pair for having friends and family along. They are particularly useful if you have other people around to have a conversation while you or someone else is shooting.

First time was surprising, took them out by my self with the volume turned up, I could hear my neighbors mower 1/4 mile away louder, and grass crunching under my shoes as I walked, I turned them down a little. To me they muffle shots better than standard good quality ear muffs.

True hey are not built as heavy duty as more expensive ones, but have held up will with reasonable care with multiple people using them. I have thumped them and knocked the batteries of place a couple times, but they do work very well for the price. Great value for the money in my opinion

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly ANR is generally best for sounds that are constantly nearby and generally similar low frequency noise, like the drone of an engine which is why they are very useful for aircraft.

Things like gunfire can work but sometimes to a lesser degree because the sound is higher in pitch and intermittent and random. The ANR ones for gunfire are also going to cost over 100 bucks and when the circuitry is unable to eliminate the sound they will cut out like the cheapo's.

The way ANR works is a microphone pics up the sound and then a corresponding sound is played back 180 degrees out of phase to cancel out the initial sound. The thing is that it takes time for the circuitry to pick up the sound process it and then generate the out of phase sound.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can never get plugs to work right in my ear canal. Not a fan of head phones, they seem to get in the way with a rifle. Looked the expensive made to order but not paying that kind of cash.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Earplugs work ok for me but after a time they start to irritate. Though I agree muffs are an issue with rifle shooting. Thought about getting one of the electronic ones that the main body is like the LG bluetooth headsets since you can change the gels for the in ear piece but haven't been able to swing the cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom