[not so] elusive Centennial....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread I will use this one to ask everyone what color/style wood would look best on this stainless beauty.

I really like the Secret Service grips.

[Broken External Image]

I've shot my 640ND with both the wood and rubber boot grips. Granted the wood looks nice, but she's not a BBQ gun, and the rubber is much more forgiving with recoil, and sweaty hands. I also have the same Uncle Mikes pocket holster, works great, just don't slouch while sitting, the holster will stay put, but not so much the gun. I've gone to a Don Hume french curve for better retention.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread I will use this one to ask everyone what color/style wood would look best on this stainless beauty.

I really like the Secret Service grips.

[Broken External Image]

Over the years I've had Eagle's Secret Service grips on a few handguns. They are well-made and generally fit good. I did have one set for a J frame that had to go back for fit several years ago. I have a set of Eagles checkered rosewood grips on my SIG 239 now (of course not a Secret Service revolver grip). However, I have never kept the SS grips and finally don't even get any anymore. They just don't fit my hand well. I don't have a lot of revolvers (one of each frame size J-N) but none of mine stay in the safe. They all get used often. I have grips, depending on the model, from a stock w/T-grip, Ahrends (very good on the larger Smiths) and the guy I think is the best there is. Craig Spegal. He invented the boot grip and is the premier boot grip maker for J frames. He has a special one just for Centennials, having higher horns. This grip helps position your hand higher on the grip, resulting in better recoil management. Another thing I like about them is they are made in America, by an American. Many of todays wood grips are from overseas. I'm not meaning to slam Eagle as I find their product to be a good one. Craig's shop has one employee -- him. As a result, there is usually a backlog of up to 6 months to get a set of his grips. There are a couple of places that know that people don't like to wait so they try and keep a few of his grips (and sell them at exorbitant prices). I always deal with Craig himself. It is worth the wait. When you order from him you pay about the same, or less, than Ahrends or Eagle. I have nothing to do with his business, except for being a fan of his product and his business practices. Here is a photo of his plainest grade boot grips, albeit checkered on my Centennial. These were $60 for the grip and $25 for the checkering. He sells more un-checkered grips than checkered as some feel they are better for the J-frames recoil.

[Broken External Image]

BTW, I disagree with anyone that says wood grips are for BBQ guns only. There is just something about wood on a Smith that completes the picture. Rubber does work well on helping reduce the effects of recoil on some large handguns, but even my N-frame carries wood. Of course, If I was a collector I couldn't afford them for all.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like a simple set of S&W smooth factory Magnas with a Tyler T-grip.

That's what my 649 wears. I also carry it in one of those Uncle Mike's holsters...sorta. Mine is made by Blackhawk, but it's basically identical to yours. I too chose the size 4 over the size 3, because it seems to fit my little Bodyguard better than the size 3 does.

But like Leighton said, it can slide out if you're not careful. I plan on ordering a Galco for my humpback.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have a Uncle Mike's pocket holster, but the #3. The 442 fits well in it and does not move around. I have a #4 that I sometimes carry a Kahr PM9 in and it feels too big to me when I have the 442 in it. The Nemesis and Robert Mika's pocket holsters usually work well also. I do not like the Superfly, tho'.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BTW, I disagree with anyone that says wood grips are for BBQ guns only. There is just something about wood on a Smith that completes the picture. Rubber does work well on helping reduce the effects of recoil on some large handguns, but even my N-frame carries wood. Of course, If I was a collector I couldn't afford them for all.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good set of wood grips on a revolver, just never cared for them on a J-frame. K and up, yep its gonna be wood. I also agree with you on the Speagals, if your gonna put wood on a J thats the best.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom