notified by CMP IHC field grade available

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got an email from CMP that they had some field grade IHC grarands for sale, has anybody on here sent in there application for one? I sent mine in on Thursday, would like to know what condition other people get for their rifles. Barrel, stock, trigger groups, etc.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got one late last year and one earlier this year. Both exceeded the CMP definition for a FG. Both showed wear on the metal parts, very worn stocks and Me/TE readings that were well within the SG definition. One had quite a few IHC parts and the second had very few.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not send in an order. From the discussion on the CMP forum, the rifles coming out now generally meet the grade description; in other words, they're not anything spectacular. Of course there are exceptions, and those are the ones you see posted on the forum, but by and large, they're decent rifles. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I didn't already have a couple IHC's, I might have rolled the dice. As it is, I'll pass, but good luck to you!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Perplexed, after reading the email they have a limited supply, I should have sent my app. quicker and maybe overnight mail.

I saw comments on the forum where even those rifles weren't moving very quickly, so I'd think you still have a chance at getting one. Let us know.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, a little late on posting but got the IHC last Wednesday. The serial number is 4618xxx, IHC receiver, LMR barrel, op rod IHC, bolt IHC. The trigger group is all SA, and the stock has no markings that I can find. The barrel has a throat of 3, and muzzle at 3, the finish on the metal is great, some finish gone on the gas cylinder. stock has some small dents in the upper hand guard, rest is very good. I think I got a good deal, looks more like a service grade then field grade, except for the barrel condition.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty good example - you might check the barrel numbers yourself, as the CMP hang tag numbers sometimes are pessimistic. They use gauges that get worn down from constant insertion, so the numbers can be a bit high. Too bad the stock doesn't have IHC markings, as that item alone is the most expensive to correct aside of the barreled receiver. I assume you did check the barrel channel of the stock for an alphanumeric code? At least you got an IHC op rod and bolt, and the trigger group is easily corrected if you want to go that route. Can you post pics of the rifle, please?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't check the barrel channel in the stock for any numbers or letters, but will. I have never posted pictures but I will try.

Have you checked for a code in the barrel channel? It'd look something like this, though there may not be any letters in the code if the stock is a later one:

[Broken External Image]

You can sign up for a free photo sharing account - there are a number of sites offering this. Photobucket (though some people don't like this), Imgur, and others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom