Nov 21st, Carrygun Match @ Heartland, Snubby State Championship, New Rules, etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep the ideas coming, folks!

But, we need to remember a few things: One, it's a competition and it needs to present the same challenge to everyone. Two, there are new and beginning shooters coming to these matches. I don't want to have them do something for the very first time, with a loaded gun, under pressure, with a room full of other people. IE; I doubt I'll have anyone do any "turn and draws" anytime soon.

We have had charging, retreating, swinging, "running" targets, some of which required an ID before engaging. We've had poppers and now falling plates. We've shot strong and weak hand only, kneeling and prone, and revolver shooters had to load 2 loose rounds (to see if they knew which way their cylinder turned) We've had one empty gun start, with reloads needing to be picked up along the way. We've had a flashlight/dark stage with unusual (at the time) targets.

And we had a "mind boggle" stage where some people couldn't remember their number. (maybe next time, the number you draw is the one you shoot!)

I plan to keep the challenges coming and hope that everyone has enjoyed them thus far.......and I have a new prop in mind for next time.......:rubhands:

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're doing a great job of keeping it fresh (even though I've on been to one)

Keep up the good work!

Burk

Keep the ideas coming, folks!

But, we need to remember a few things: One, it's a competition and it needs to present the same challenge to everyone. Two, there are new and beginning shooters coming to these matches. I don't want to have them do something for the very first time, with a loaded gun, under pressure, with a room full of other people. IE; I doubt I'll have anyone do any "turn and draws" anytime soon.

We have had charging, retreating, swinging, "running" targets, some of which required an ID before engaging. We've had poppers and now falling plates. We've shot strong and weak hand only, kneeling and prone, and revolver shooters had to load 2 loose rounds (to see if they knew which way their cylinder turned) We've had one empty gun start, with reloads needing to be picked up along the way. We've had a flashlight/dark stage with unusual (at the time) targets.

And we had a "mind boggle" stage where some people couldn't remember their number. (maybe next time, the number you draw is the one you shoot!)

I plan to keep the challenges coming and hope that everyone has enjoyed them thus far.......and I have a new prop in mind for next time.......:rubhands:

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
Anybody have the time/skills to build something like this? Drop Turner

It's gotta be built out if wood for indoors is the problem. We are too close to the targets for any sort of metal targets.

We use drop turners, Texas stars, clam shells, peek a boos, swingers, runners, jabbers, flying charlies, invisible knock downs, upside down flippers, be bopping bobbies and all the other cool moving targets you can think of.

Oh yeah I made up a few of those. Lol

I agree with middle-agedyeller in that we need tighter shots and longer shots.

MISph1t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's gotta be built out if wood for indoors is the problem. We are too close to the targets for any sort of metal targets.

Wonder how PVC would work for the pipe and maybe some of the stuff used for the poppers could be cut in a strip and heated and bent for the turning part.....

Somebody would probably shoot the stand though and that would be that. :(

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive seen a wrinkle on that reload from the pylon we had in November's 4th stage.

A second gun was staged at that location. That weapon represented a BUG or pick-up from one of your downed adversaries or downed freindly.

The only problem is a shooter needs to bring a BUG or some trusting souls would have to loan a gun.

Table top, shooter sitting, loaded pistol in a cheap plastic drawer type box (found at dollar stores every were). You could use a rubber maid box with the lid on also.

At the tone.. shooter retrieves firearm from storage and engages threat(s)

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
Ive seen a wrinkle on that reload from the pylon we had in November's 4th stage.

A second gun was staged at that location. That weapon represented a BUG or pick-up from one of your downed adversaries or downed freindly.

The only problem is a shooter needs to bring a BUG or some trusting souls would have to loan a gun.

Table top, shooter sitting, loaded pistol in a cheap plastic drawer type box (found at dollar stores every were). You could use a rubber maid box with the lid on also.

At the tone.. shooter retrieves firearm from storage and engages threat(s)

I think Chambers has a Derringer he would let us all shoot. He would have a distinct advantage though because he's AWESOME with them. At least that's the word out of Arkansas.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that we have virtually no storage at the Heartland facility. Most of you have seen me carry in that huge yellow bag......it has the props/walls/poppers, etc in it. Nearly everything used for the match I bring each time to the match in the back of my Jeep.

I try to utilize the built-in equipment (target holder system) and making props that work with or off of that. (mover, swinger, etc)

I understand the desire for "tighter shots," as we typically include some. This last match was the Snubby Championship, so I intentionally made all the shots a bit closer than usual. (I've shot larger, outdoor matches that had 8 stages and all the targets were closer than the November match...)

I've also been to matches where nearly all the shots were tight, long, or otherwise. Very challenging, perhaps, but not a lot of fun, especially for the budding shooter(s) who found the challenges impossible.

I've had thoughts of doing a "battlefield pickup" stage where the shooter begins or ends with a gun not their own......in fact, coming up in December I'm going to..............um, nevermind, I've said too much already....

Latest posts

Top Bottom