Nowlin match classic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll just second that Terry did great work. No matter who did the work though, it's tough to gauge value without seeing what kind of work was done to the gun. Some of those old Nowlins have goofy proprietary sights for starters.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say this. I knew the guy who did test firing and QC on each gun that went out the door at Nowlin (and I’m almost positive he was still working there in 2002). I actually watched him do it at their shop above Keetonville Hill.

He’s Buzzdraw here on OSA and last posted on the 2nd, so you might want to PM him about it? :)

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I was at Nowlin (1999-2003), guns leaving the Keatonville shop passed John Sr's quality, performance and functionality standards or they didn't go out the door. Before and after, as well as rarely during this time frame, some pseudo Nowlins were put together. The Nowlin marked components were available through Brownell's for a time and that's typically the source of the materials for pseudo builds.

John Sr's active gun building days were mostly prior to 1999. He could build an excellent gun. I treasure my single Sr-built 1911. Sr trained several gunsmiths along the way, some of whom are still active. I have one built by his most apt student; it's a fantastic 1911.

The current Nowlin barrels and parts, made by one of Sr's daughters, are done the way Sr would have wanted.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
During my tenure at Nowlin I was responsible for ordering raw material, manufacturing process/QC and finished product. A fair amount of that was hands on. It was done to Sr's standards or not shipped at all.

In reply to the comment regarding rear sights, most of those going on Match Classics were BoMar or the more available clone. It was the same sight used by Springfield Armory and others in the industry. I bought them direct from the maker. A few MC's had the Miniature Machine Company (MMC) adjustable rear; they were optional. The MMC was an extremely durable sight.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with JD8 on the market pricing issue. But I seldom follow the market trend and buy most every Nowlin gun or odd built gun with a Nowlin slide or frame. I like them that much. My son got an adjustable sight for the pistol he built at the shop that looks like a non adjustable Novak rear sight. Buzzdraw is thisnthe MMC you mentioned?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with JD8 on the market pricing issue. But I seldom follow the market trend and buy most every Nowlin gun or odd built gun with a Nowlin slide or frame. I like them that much. My son got an adjustable sight for the pistol he built at the shop that looks like a non adjustable Novak rear sight. Buzzdraw is thisnthe MMC you mentioned?

Yes that's the MMC. For years it was considered the only "duty grade" adjustable sight.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think a fair price is for a match classic in 9mm? They are asking 3k for the one I found! I thought that was high

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about a pic of the sight in question?

Latest posts

Top Bottom