NRA Personal Protection Inside/Outside the Home -- Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello OSAers, I've noticed that the NRA Basics classes (Personal Protection In/Outside the Home) are fairly popular at the local ranges that teach classes. I have taken Pistol Skills 2 and 3 at H&H (taught by Will Andrews), and am at the point where I am ready to take a 'major' pistol class--I'd really like to take Fighting Pistol at Tactical Response (Cambridge, TN--James Yeager's company).

The NRA courses listed above seem like a pretty well-priced class with good information, but would I be better off saving my $$ for a 2-3 day class like Fighting Pistol or Advanced Combat Pistol at TDSA? I realize that, yes, the NRA classes are worthwhile and all, but I (like all of us) am looking for the option that provides the the most efficient allocation my financial resources. Essentially my question boils down to, is there any portion of Protection Inside/Outside the Home that wouldn't be covered in a multi-day pistol class from a reputable group?

I should mention that I am heavily favoring saving my money and taking Fighting Pistol (or similar). From what I gather, the NRA classes involve a good deal of classroom instruction and 'some' shooting. No doubt the folks at Tactical Response have a portion of time dedicated to classroom instruction, but the round count is 1000 for goodness sakes (which I infer to mean a heavy emphasis is placed on 'seat time')!

Thanks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The classes at TDSA are second to none. You will shoot 1000 round minimum, coached by some of the best instructors in the business. You can't beat actual shooting with a coach vs sitting in a classroom for 90% of the time talking theory.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in any comments about the NRA PPITH and PPOTH, too. From what I've heard they geared more towards situational awareness and making your home safe, not firearm skill training.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RE: Yeager vs TDSA, I would vote TDSA every time. OKC to Tulsa for a legit training opportunity vs OKC to Cambridge, TN for possible truck perforating shenanigans is an easy decision, though.

As far as the NRA classes go, it depends on where you are in your training. I think the PPITH/OTH classes are more of a "crawl" or "walk" level class. They incorporate some positional shooting as well as use of cover. Sage Dynamics will be in Wichita in August with their Citizen Response to an Active Shooter course. That's more of a "walk really fast" to "run" level class, and covers not only mindset, situational awareness, managing unknown contacts, etc. but also has a full on SIMS component. So, it really depends on where you are in your training evolution. Hopefully that helps. Full Disclosure: I've never taken any of these courses (except for TDSA's ACP1), and am working on what I've read from those who have. I do plan on attending the Sage class in August.

Latest posts

Top Bottom