O. S. U.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This guy nails it:

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2013/9/13/4727492/les-miles-and-part-4-of-sis-oklahoma-state-story

Long quote, but read the whole thing:

"Hostess programs have been part of college football since the 1960s. Friendly, often attractive students greet recruits, usher them and their parents around campus and promote the virtues of the school. There have long been suspicions about sexual interactions. In 2004 public scandals at Colorado and other schools revealed that sex had been arranged for visiting prospects. Although no formal campus organization was implicated in those cases, several colleges shuttered their hostess programs or rechristened them with less suggestive names. That year the NCAA passed legislation that, in part, prohibited "the use of alcohol, drugs, sex and gambling in recruiting."

Oklahoma State not only kept Orange Pride intact, but by 2004, multiple sources told SI, the group also became a key contributor to the program's rise. Membership in the organization more than tripled; there was a greater emphasis on attracting prettier and more outgoing women; and more than a dozen Cowboys who played from 2001 to '11 told SI that a small number of Orange Pride members had sexual relations with them or with other prospects during recruiting visits. According to the former hostesses who spoke to SI, the vast majority did not have sex with recruits. But for those who did, it proved to be an effective inducement.

"There's no other way a female can convince you to come play football at a school besides [sex]," says Artrell Woods, a Cowboys wide receiver from 2006 to '08, who says he did not have sex with an Orange Pride member on his recruiting visit but was aware of others who did."

Let's unpack what's going on here, because it's sort of awesome.

First, Evans puts the image in your head of the sex scandal at Colorado in 2004 that you totally forgot about, but I'm sure it was totally awful and salacious. Then he states that "several" but totally unnamed and uncounted number of schools shuttered their hostess programs. That might have been work to find out, and actually informative to the reader. "Several" could mean three, all at Sun Belt schools. I honestly have no idea. Neither do you, but that's the point. He's pushing your buttons already. Then comes the boom:

Oklahoma State NOT ONLY kept their program but it was "key contributor" of its rise, which we will totally prove, but not really. See? They recruited MORE GIRLS who were MORE PRETTY and MORE OUTGOING. And they totally had sex. Well, not all of them. Just a few. And not with anyone we talked to. In fact, no one we talked to had sex, but they totally knew this guy who absolutely had sex with that girl. Totally. You can take that to the bank. High five, bro!

Then Evans moves to that cherry on top, perhaps the most sexist thing in an article alleging that OSU was pimping girls out to have sex with football players to come to play in Stillwater: his star witness tells all of us the only thing girls have to offer is sex. I mean, Artell Woods didn't actually have sex with anyone, but he came to Stillwater anyway. Maybe because he knew other people who did. He doesn't know their names or anything, but it so totally happened and we should all believe him. Really, what use is a girl other than to provide sexual services?

That sound you hear is me throwing up in my mouth. Now, if you'll note, there's no actual allegation yet, just the collection of hearsay near the vague recollection there was a sex scandal somewhere else, but we're going to get to the good stuff, right? Well, not really.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wouldn't that indicate that Gundy had some pull with Miles boss which would mean that he had influence. It is obvious that Gundy was hired to replace Miles when he left. Gundy was the coach in waiting.

I am right about that all day long.

You know what I don't do? I don't talk about OU's football program, because I don't follow it, and if I did speak about it, chances are people that know about what goes on within the program would just think I was an uninformed asshat. An uninformed asshat that was reaching for any small shred of a whisper that might besmirch the program. I wouldn't want people to think that about me.

Just something to consider.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Girls are not that stupid, and having some doofus show them around while staring at her boobs is not going to entice an 18 yr old girl. She gets that everyday.

But not necessarily from well-connected football recruits.

It is what it is though. It'd happen eventually even if hostess programs were nonexistent.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know when I was in high school a lot of the girls were always chasing the popular football players.
I didn't know Gundy was behind it though.

Next thing you know it will be a sin to have pretty cheerleaders in skimpy outfits prancing around on the sidelines.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what I don't do? I don't talk about OU's football program, because I don't follow it, and if I did speak about it, chances are people that know about what goes on within the program would just think I was an uninformed asshat. An uninformed asshat that was reaching for any small shred of a whisper that might besmirch the program. I wouldn't want people to think that about me.

Just something to consider.

Ok, jakeman, you can call me an a**hat all you want. I do follow OSU football. I also follow their wrestling team. One of my high school wrestling team mates is an OSU assistant coach's father in law. You would have a hard time being a wrestler in Oklahoma and not being an OSU wrestling fan. I knew men here in my small town that wrestled for Ed Gallagher. Our current coach wrestled there. We actually had Gallagher's grandson coach here a few years back.

I do not know what goes on inside the program. I only know what is presented to the public.

It is very much true that Gundy has been there since Miles was first there. It is very much true that he was in a position of influence and authority on the football team while Miles was there and even more so after he left. The players that were recruited by Miles and Gundy are the ones besmirching the program. I didn't do or say any of the things that those former players and supporting characters did and said. Tell me what I have said that hasn't been supported by the events that took place. Gundy was hired as head coach after Miles left. Gundy knew he would be. I knew he would be. All Gundy had to do was wait until Miles left. That happened. Is that what makes me an a**hat?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, jakeman, you can call me an a**hat all you want. I do follow OSU football. I also follow their wrestling team. One of my high school wrestling team mates is an OSU assistant coach's father in law. You would have a hard time being a wrestler in Oklahoma and not being an OSU wrestling fan. I knew men here in my small town that wrestled for Ed Gallagher. Our current coach wrestled there. We actually had Gallagher's grandson coach here a few years back.

I do not know what goes on inside the program. I only know what is presented to the public.

It is very much true that Gundy has been there since Miles was first there. It is very much true that he was in a position of influence and authority on the football team while Miles was there and even more so after he left. The players that were recruited by Miles and Gundy are the ones besmirching the program. I didn't do or say any of the things that those former players and supporting characters did and said. Tell me what I have said that hasn't been supported by the events that took place. Gundy was hired as head coach after Miles left. Gundy knew he would be. I knew he would be. All Gundy had to do was wait until Miles left. That happened. Is that what makes me an a**hat?

Did I call you an asshat?

You have as hard a time seperating fact from your own conjecture as SI does.

From your statements about Gundy's relationship with/and influence over the program when Miles was there it is clear you don't really know what you're talking about in that regardt. It's okay. Lots of people think they know a lot of stuff that they really don't. Your not all that unique there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom