OC Arrest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am sorry if I misquoted you, I don't think that I did. I fail to see how carrying a gun into a polling place is doing anyone any harm. Phobias should not be a factor in deciding what is right or wrong.

I believe you did, because I made a distinction that you didn't take it into account. You generalized my comments to suit your position. A polling place is a somewhat sacrosanct place in our free society. A gun in no way enhances your ability to vote. I'd challenge you to find an current example where a pistol was necessary to complete the function of voting. On the other hand, a gun may frighten someone on either a rational level (they've been a victim of the illegal use of a gun) or irrational (hoplophobia). Either way, you may unwittingly interfere with the voting rights of a fellow citizen by your display of a firearm in a sacrosanct setting. In my book, that's impolite and uncivilized.

Note that I haven't stated that it is in fact illegal, nor that it should be. It should however remain taboo. In this case, I'd be a strong proponent of covering your piece when voting. It's such a small sacrifice for the common good. Is that too much to ask? :anyone:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't waste your time Jerry...a group of guys have somehow made the determination that, by virtue of open carrying, they are/have become the ultimate Constitutional defenders and anyone who supports any variance from OC is a liberal 2nd Amendment hater.

Last edited:

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[snip] they are/have become the ultimate Constitutional defenders and anyone who supports any variance from OC is a liberal 2nd Amendment hater.

Wow, you make it sound so dramatic and sexy... now all we need is theme music. I'm kinda digging this.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's what I got back from Tulsa County. We've already established that precinct officials are sworn in, and paid for their time. That makes them government employees.

To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
CC: John Luton <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:46:44 -0600
Subject: RE: Precinct Questions

Yes, we rent the facility for a day. All polling places except those owned by the government are paid $50.00 for the use of their facility.
Thanks,
SB

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 4:34 PM
To: Tulsa County Election Board
Cc: Shelly Boggs; John Luton
Subject: Re: Precinct Questions

Thanks much for the response. Can I assume then that private property is indeed leased by the county for use as a polling place? That is, if a church or other building not owned by a government agency is used as a polling place, then that place is leased, even if just for a day or two? That seems to be the operative question in regards to any SDA issue.
This seems to make them government employees, doing business with the public, in a government-leased location. Can't see how carry of any kind is legal there.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you did, because I made a distinction that you didn't take it into account. You generalized my comments to suit your position. A polling place is a somewhat sacrosanct place in our free society. A gun in no way enhances your ability to vote. I'd challenge you to find an current example where a pistol was necessary to complete the function of voting. On the other hand, a gun may frighten someone on either a rational level (they've been a victim of the illegal use of a gun) or irrational (hoplophobia). Either way, you may unwittingly interfere with the voting rights of a fellow citizen by your display of a firearm in a sacrosanct setting. In my book, that's impolite and uncivilized.

Note that I haven't stated that it is in fact illegal, nor that it should be. It should however remain taboo. In this case, I'd be a strong proponent of covering your piece when voting. It's such a small sacrifice for the common good. Is that too much to ask? :anyone:

Ok, you did say that it wasn't an issue and you did say that it is not cool. I left out any other qualifying statements and that must be where you think that I miss quoted you. I don't see it because you did say what I quoted. Can you find a current example of a gun in a polling place causing intimidation that kept some one from voting? I am not trying to say that a gun is needed to vote, I am trying to ask why it should be prohibited? I don't know of anyone of voting age that is intimidated by the presence of a gun.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you ask that question of them?

Not directly, but my initial email did mention the OKC incident. Ms. Boggs' initial response included citations of Section 1290.22(A) and Section 1277(A) and (D).
Section 1277(A) provides in pertinent part:

A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed or unconcealed handgun into any of the following places:

1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
4. Any elementary or secondary school;

Section 1277(D) provides in pertinent part:

D. No person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun into or upon any college, university, or technology center school property (unless authorized by written consent).

Although Section 1277 does not specifically mention polling places, there are certainly locations found in Section 1277 that are used for such purposes.
That part came from Mr Luton, who is Assistant District Attorney, Chief of Civil Division.

They are government employees (sworn in and paid) doing business with the public (running a polling place) in a government-leased facility. That falls under 1277(A)1. Doesn't it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom