OC'er Confronted By Arbys Manager

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Walked into the Midwest City Arbys across from Heritage Park Mall yesterday with my wife and son. We ordered, sat down and began eating. Here comes the manager,
Manager-"excuse me are you a cop or police officer of some kind?"
-"no sir im not"
Manager-"umm, ok, im not sure im real comfortable with you being in here with a gun, could huh,, would you mind leaving it in the car?"
-"No sir I will not disarm myself. I will be happy to leave the property after you refund me my money, I am legally licensed to carry a firearm in the state of Oklahoma."
Manager-"Oh ok, can i see your license?"
-"absolutly"-- I show him.
Manager-"ok this says concealed handgun permit, do you have a permit to open carry?"
-"Sir in oklahoma a concealed handgun permit allows you to legally open carry"
Manager-"Ok, well just try to keep it away from the other patrons" and he walked away.
We finished eating, and despite me telling myself to just leave, i walked up to the counter and asked to speak to the manager. He comes out carrying a 3 ring binder that I could immediately tell was was store/management policies.
-"Sir I eat here regularly and have done so before while carrying with no problems, its important that you understand as a manager you can ask me to leave, but unless the store owner or Arbys deem the store a gun free zone that Im within my legal rights to be here, and if you choose to not allow me to be here while legally carrying, me and my family will eat elsewhere"
-Manager-"Yea thats what im doin now is actually looking over the stores policy on guns,, you know, its just one of them things,, that just becuz you can, doesnt mean you should"
My wifes jaw dropped to the floor.
"Sir unfortunately for you, your opinion doesnt override my right to carry a firearm and protect my family if evil should present itself."
He immediately started arguing that it wasnt his opinion, and its just not professional, and hes not allowed to carry a gun as a manager, and said some other things that didnt make much sense about the matter. I quickly saw this turning into an argument and I wanted no part of it. Thats when I said "ok sir have a good day" and just walked away. I was disappointed. I felt like I left a bad taste in someones mouth about firearms. I want to educate people on the matter, I want people to understand the importance of us taking advantage of our rights. Cant win them all I guess.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really do not believe in pompous open carry. Your rights or not, business owners rights trumps them. He also does not give a refund for anything. If asked to leave, you have to leave. He was being nice asking you to basically conceal it by saying put it in the car.

That is just my opinion.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really do not believe in pompous open carry. Your rights or not, business owners rights trumps them. He also does not give a refund for anything. If asked to leave, you have to leave. He was being nice asking you to basically conceal it by saying put it in the car.

That is just my opinion.

I didn't see any mentions of any no carry signs and the person in question was a manager, not an owner. And they can't just ask you to leave after you pay for something without delivering your meal or a refund.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't see any mentions of any no carry signs and the person in question was a manager, not an owner. And they can't just ask you to leave after you pay for something without delivering your meal or a refund.

An owner can designate responsibilities to any employee. As a manager you are allowed to enforce policies. A business does not require a sign to ask someone to leave. A notification is a notification. It can be a sign or verbally by an employee. He had his food. So why did he need a refund?

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't look like the manager ever ended up asking anyone to leave and it doesn't seem he even knew his own store's policies on guns. I don't see anything indicating the store owner was against any kind of carry and it was just a problem that particular manager had.

Latest posts

Top Bottom