OC'er Confronted By Arbys Manager

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't look like the manager ever ended up asking anyone to leave and it doesn't seem he even knew his own store's policies on guns. I don't see anything indicating the store owner was against any kind of carry and it was just a problem that particular manager had.

He definitely asked him to put the firearm in his car. At that point he stated that he demanded a refund. So the manager was unsure what to do. The store owner appointed the manager to run the business. So any decision the manager makes is in full representation of the owner.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He definitely asked him to put the firearm in his car. At that point he stated that he demanded a refund. So the manager was unsure what to do. The store owner appointed the manager to run the business. So any decision the manager makes is in full representation of the owner.

I don't see that the manager made any decision. Perhaps someone should contact that owner so he can either set his manager straight or throw up some gunbuster signs so everyone knows the store policy.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see that the manager made any decision. Perhaps someone should contact that owner so he can either set his manager straight or throw up some gunbuster signs so everyone knows the store policy.

That would be a lot better than being confrontational inside the store. Though a store does not need a sign stating policy. Any notification will do including a verbal on.

It sounds like a new manager to me. So I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I would politely ask for a sack and proceed to leave. I do not want to be anywhere where I make a law abidng citizen uncomfortable inside of his domain.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Walked into the Midwest City Arbys across from Heritage Park Mall yesterday with my wife and son. We ordered, sat down and began eating. Here comes the manager,
Manager-"excuse me are you a cop or police officer of some kind?"
-"no sir im not"
Manager-"umm, ok, im not sure im real comfortable with you being in here with a gun, could huh,, would you mind leaving it in the car?"
-"No sir I will not disarm myself. I will be happy to leave the property after you refund me my money, I am legally licensed to carry a firearm in the state of Oklahoma
Manager-"Oh ok, can i see your license?"
-"absolutly"-- I show him.
Manager-"ok this says concealed handgun permit, do you have a permit to open carry?"
-"Sir in oklahoma a concealed handgun permit allows you to legally open carry"
Manager-"Ok, well just try to keep it away from the other patrons" and he walked away.
We finished eating, and despite me telling myself to just leave, i walked up to the counter and asked to speak to the manager. He comes out carrying a 3 ring binder that I could immediately tell was was store/management policies.
-"Sir I eat here regularly and have done so before while carrying with no problems, its important that you understand as a manager you can ask me to leave, but unless the store owner or Arbys deem the store a gun free zone that Im within my legal rights to be here, and if you choose to not allow me to be here while legally carrying, me and my family will eat elsewhere"
-Manager-"Yea thats what im doin now is actually looking over the stores policy on guns,, you know, its just one of them things,, that just becuz you can, doesnt mean you should"
My wifes jaw dropped to the floor.
"Sir unfortunately for you, your opinion doesnt override my right to carry a firearm and protect my family if evil should present itself."
He immediately started arguing that it wasnt his opinion, and its just not professional, and hes not allowed to carry a gun as a manager, and said some other things that didnt make much sense about the matter. I quickly saw this turning into an argument and I wanted no part of it. Thats when I said "ok sir have a good day" and just walked away. I was disappointed. I felt like I left a bad taste in someones mouth about firearms. I want to educate people on the matter, I want people to understand the importance of us taking advantage of our rights. Cant win them all I guess.

You won the discussion WAGS by stating your opinion in a courteous and professional manner. Both you and the manager were calm, cool and collected and approached this subject in an insightful, and cautious way. Well done! You clearly won this one.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"... what the heck does that mean? (I understood why the OP's wife's jaw dropped!)

It's situations like this that remind me concealed carry is good enough for me... OP handled well, but hopefully by electing to CC, I won't have to face the angst of a similar confrontation...

LL

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Though a store does not need a sign stating policy. Any notification will do including a verbal on.

I certainly respect a business owner's (and their representative's) rights. If your business is not posted and you have already served me at the cash register, given me my food on a tray, and allowed me to sit down and start eating before asking me to disarm or leave, you are either going to give me money back or I'm finishing my meal.

I won't be run out like a second class citizen, with half eaten food in a sack.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Draw speed and intimidation arguments aside, OC is about getting the general public familiar and comfortable with firearms in the right hands. So they can know we are courteous and responsible and not rude and aggressive. This about the only reason I OC ( I only have a couple times since I got my license a month ago).

I had a couple go talk to the manager at Wendys, but the staff did nothing since there was nothing posted. No one else has noticed really. But I'm not trying to be flashy, just minding my own business with an aware attitude.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I certainly respect a business owner's (and their representative's) rights. If your business is not posted and you have already served me at the cash register, given me my food on a tray, and allowed me to sit down and start eating before asking me to disarm or leave, you are either going to give me money back or I'm finishing my meal.

I won't be run out like a second class citizen, with half eaten food in a sack.

That is your choice and it is completely ok. This is arbys, it is hardly worth 20 bucks to prove to someone that I am right(not to mention a tresspassing ticket). I would just email the owner. If this is one owned by US Beef Corp, everyone already knows their policy. They tolerate concealed carry but they do not like open carry at this time.

It is still very early in the open carry scene. We do not need to do anything that will put a bad taste in anyone's mouth. We need to win over as many people as we can.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Draw speed and intimidation arguments aside, OC is about getting the general public familiar and comfortable with firearms in the right hands. So they can know we are courteous and responsible and not rude and aggressive. This about the only reason I OC ( I only have a couple times since I got my license a month ago).

I had a couple go talk to the manager at Wendys, but the staff did nothing since there was nothing posted. No one else has noticed really. But I'm not trying to be flashy, just minding my own business with an aware attitude.

Yes and there is a time and a place to do it. That is why I am against pompous open carry.
Shoving a gun in a liberal's face(what they think we are doing by protecting ourselves openly at this point) does nothing but hurt us at this point. We have only had open carry for 4 months. If it had been 4 years fron now I would agree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom