Odocoileus virginianus pic thread 2020/2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’m currently using Carbon Express XT4, and they have preformed great. I’ve killed bucks that weighed around 275#, and I haven’t had a single deer go over 75 yards after being hit. I used Excalibur Bolt Cutters for several years, and they served me well too.

In my opinion, shot placement is much more critical than which broadhead, and I also limit my crossbow shots to 35 yards or less. I practice at longer distances, but I won’t shoot a deer past 35 yards and set my stands up accordingly. I killed the buck on Thursday at 29 yards, and he made it about 60 yards before bleeding out.
View attachment 176528 View attachment 176529

Wow thought those were old school Ben Pearson's Deadheads from the 1960's. Very similar, they were open where the small blade is on yours.. Sometimes if they caught the wind right they would whistle lol.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow thought those were old school Ben Pearson's Deadheads from the 1960's. Very similar, they were open where the small blade is on yours.. Sometimes if they caught the wind right they would whistle lol.
Just because it’s old school doesn’t mean it won’t still work. I’m convinced most hunters way overthink their gear and tend to blindly jump on the bandwagon of the latest whizbang gizmo just because it’s being pushed by TV personalities on the outdoor channel.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Just because it’s old school doesn’t mean it won’t still work. I’m convinced most hunters way overthink their gear and tend to blindly jump on the bandwagon of the latest whizbang gizmo just because it’s being pushed by TV personalities on the outdoor channel.

Yeah I've still got a few left somewhere. I'm 100% anti-"what Duck Commander has done waterfowl hunting" and 99% of those other honyocks on tv.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I've still got a few left somewhere. I'm 100% anti-"what Duck Commander has done waterfowl hunting" and 99% of those other honyocks on tv.
Duck commander increased sky busters and hale calls on public land 10000%. I try to look at it from the perspective of "at least it got people into hunting that might not have." Silver lining attempt lol. Still frustrating, especially with all the stupid catch phrases coined by personalities. I've never smoked a deer without a fire, let alone with an arrow or bullet. Stepping off my soap box now.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Duck commander increased sky busters and hale calls on public land 10000%. I try to look at it from the perspective of "at least it got people into hunting that might not have." Silver lining attempt lol. Still frustrating, especially with all the stupid catch phrases coined by personalities. I've never smoked a deer without a fire, let alone with an arrow or bullet. Stepping off my soap box now.

I be curious to see how many folks lost places to hunt that they've hunted for years as a result of the crowds, guides and $$.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, since you’re stepping down, I’ll take over.
I’m on a TX bowhunting message board that I use for it’s classifieds. Probably 90% of the members live in metro areas (Dallas and Ft Worth mainly) and use those “catch phrases” liberally, and I can’t stand to read hunting threads because of it. Evidently, many of them are well healed financially, and when they describe their gear, it sounds like an advertisement off the outdoor channel. I call them “GQ hunters”. Every glamour shot with a deer will have them camoed head to toe with black face paint carefully smeared on their cheeks. Many of them go out of their way to convince themselves and others how tough hunting is inside an 8’ fence.
Whatever floats their boat....:anyone:

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, since you’re stepping down, I’ll take over.
I’m on a TX bowhunting message board that I use for it’s classifieds. Probably 90% of the members live in metro areas (Dallas and Ft Worth mainly) and use those “catch phrases” liberally, and I can’t stand to read hunting threads because of it. Evidently, many of them are well healed financially, and when they describe their gear, it sounds like an advertisement off the outdoor channel. I call them “GQ hunters”. Every glamour shot with a deer will have them camoed head to toe with black face paint carefully smeared on their cheeks. Many of them go out of their way to convince themselves and others how tough hunting is inside an 8’ fence.
Whatever floats their boat....:anyone:

Gahh, so wearing makeup while hunting is not cool? :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom