ODWC Whitetail Deer Aging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screenshot_20201203-121924_Drive.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Since I can't see their teeth before I pull the trigger, I've worked really hard over the last few years to learn everything I can about aging on the hoof. Seeing the same bucks two or three years in a row on cam has really helped. That said, the buck I shot this year, lived between my two cams all year or maybe even longer. If it hadn't been for his rack, I wouldn't have looked at that buck's body twice. Short body, not much chest mass in front of the front legs, stomach and back said 3.5yo all day. Taxidermist aged him at 4.5yo, very small body.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I can't see their teeth before I pull the trigger, I've worked really hard over the last few years to learn everything I can about aging on the hoof. Seeing the same bucks two or three years in a row on cam has really helped. That said, the buck I shot this year, lived between my two cams all year or maybe even longer. If it hadn't been for his rack, I wouldn't have looked at that buck's body twice. Short body, not much chest mass in front of the front legs, stomach and back said 3.5yo all day. Taxidermist aged him at 4.5yo, very small body.
I have tried to really learn what a mature buck looks like in the areas I hunt. We have done well over the last couple of years with shooting some older bucks and lots of does. I go more on body mass and antler mass then just about anything else. Usually in the heat of the moment you may have only seconds to decide rather you shoot or you don’t. My kids have really started to pick up on letting smaller bucks walk and shooting does for meat. Both of these were estimated at 4.5 from western Oklahoma. I feel confident in the wide 7 my son killed as I have pictures of him for the last three years. The 8 my daughter killed is not one I have history on but body wise and antler mass I estimate him to be 3.5 - 4.5. I guess I should start pulling some jaw bones to see how close I am at guessing their age class.

Attachments

• AB467E07-570C-4A22-903C-21023B18C346.jpeg
    AB467E07-570C-4A22-903C-21023B18C346.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 56194523-5287-49D8-A614-3070FEFC1769.jpeg
    56194523-5287-49D8-A614-3070FEFC1769.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 137

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried to really learn what a mature buck looks like in the areas I hunt. We have done well over the last couple of years with shooting some older bucks and lots of does. I go more on body mass and antler mass then just about anything else. Usually in the heat of the moment you may have only seconds to decide rather you shoot or you don’t. My kids have really started to pick up on letting smaller bucks walk and shooting does for meat. Both of these were estimated at 4.5 from western Oklahoma. I feel confident in the wide 7 my son killed as I have pictures of him for the last three years. The 8 my daughter killed is not one I have history on but body wise and antler mass I estimate him to be 3.5 - 4.5. I guess I should start pulling some jaw bones to see how close I am at guessing their age class.
I would guess top buck is 2 1/2 & second buck was 3 1/2, based on working check stations 30 years ago

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't remember where i got this set of plastic jaws that range from 1 1/2 to 8 1/2 years old. I've had them a long time and often check jaw bones of deer my family have taken.
IMO I believe deers teeth would wear differently from diet and location. I can see high desert deer teeth wearing faster from eating more roughage and forbs than one from the midwest eating alfalfa and wheat.
Ive had a few bucks on camera for a known number of years and when they were shot this set of jaws was accurate to the age i knew the deer to be.
Live animal evaluation and aging can be a tough thing. Especially if you only have so much time to figure it out. If you are not certain what age a buck is and only have a second or 2 go ahead and pass on the shot. If you pass it lives another day or year. Once it's dead it's a dead peckerhead and it's not coming back to life.
JPEG_20201211_211654_7440610289502360716.jpg

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO I believe deers teeth would wear differently from diet and location. I can see high desert deer teeth wearing faster from eating more roughage and forbs than one from the midwest eating alfalfa and wheat.
I think the ODW agrees with you. If I remember right I was told they don't put as much importance into tooth aging because of their diet and location.
Those eating in sandy areas have more tooth wear than those in areas where the diet doesn't have sand along with the factors you mentioned.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we’re making guesstimates, I would say your son’s buck is no older than 3.5 (based on what is visible in that one picture), and your daughter’s buck is no less than 4.5 (based on head size and shape).:anyone:

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we’re making guesstimates, I would say your son’s buck is no older than 3.5 (based on what is visible in that one picture), and your daughter’s buck is no less than 4.5 (based on head size and shape).:anyone:

sorry for the double post, I double clicked before I was able to type my response. Yes, I would agree with you based just on those things. My son and I went through the old pictures and can not agree if he is the same buck over the last three years, which would make him 4.5. If he is the same buck he doesn’t have a big body for his age group. My daughters 8 point had the large body, deep chest and a bit of pot belly on him and could certainly be 4.5 I would say we’re in the ball park, but pulling jaw bones will be the next step to see how close we are. That will be a goal starting next year for management on the farm. Now it’s time to put the hurt on some does to reduces the numbers on my place. We have killed four does but need to take at least another four based on recent camera pics.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would guess top buck is 2 1/2 & second buck was 3 1/2, based on working check stations 30 years ago

If these bucks were harvested off my farm in central Oklahoma, I would say your guess is close to about right. Out west, the body size and antler development is really dependent on the rain fall and crops around my farm from year to year. Here’s one off the central farm last year that body size was small but I guessed him at 5.5-7.5. Take a some guesses and I’ll let you know what the taxidermist said he was.
A2A4662C-C865-4CDA-9F63-F916D35DC685.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom