ODWC Whitetail Deer Aging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sampson,
I didn’t mean to take a shot at your friend, my guess was based partly anticipating that your answer was going to be a surprise. 5 1/2 doesn’t surprise me at all.
Snow, An 8 1/2 year old buck is very rare but on public land is not that surprising. I had a buddy shoot one on Cherokee GMA that was at least 7 1/2 and had the rack of a 2 1/2 year ok buck. It is darn hard to age jawbones after 6 1/2 but I’m a believer in aging jawbones.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sampson,
I didn’t mean to take a shot at your friend, my guess was based partly anticipating that your answer was going to be a surprise. 5 1/2 doesn’t surprise me at all.
Snow, An 8 1/2 year old buck is very rare but on public land is not that surprising. I had a buddy shoot one on Cherokee GMA that was at least 7 1/2 and had the rack of a 2 1/2 year ok buck. It is darn hard to age jawbones after 6 1/2 but I’m a believer in aging jawbones.
It’s good, your call on eating breakfast was spot on. The dog memes made me laugh whoever posted those. And I’m an over the top smart a$$ myself, maybe not C Henry over the top, but I ain’t far behind him. If you hang around long enough you’ll see we’re all a bunch of know it all experts. And nothing stirs the pot around here like a good pissing contest on an iffy subject that can go either way, it’s how we roll at OSA! On a serious note, welcome it’s a great forum with a lot of good information and you’ll struggle to find a better group of people.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any confidence I thought I had in aging deer went out the window with this one.

I’ve posted it before but it was shot by my dad on a draw hunt. The two guys in the park office pulled the jaw on site and said he was 8.5.
View attachment 184346
Yep, I would’ve missed that one by a mile. My guess (based on just that picture) would be 2.5.
I would’ve thought the same.

I'll take 3rd on that.
I've got the pics on film somewhere but not on line as the internet wasn't around then but my heaviest buck was weighed in at 228 lbs field dressed with a tiny 7 point rack and no teeth to speak of. The person at the check station pulling the jaw estimated 8.5 yrs old.
As bucks go past their prime their racks decline seriously.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3F1DE576-E0D6-4AC3-BABA-84D5A3BBF88B.jpeg

Not so fast Murph!

Latest posts

Top Bottom