Official 2017 AR build session

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds good, guys. Glad to see someone else has vices, but I am thinking we could use another table or three. Like wooden. Like I said I have my kinda small workbench with an attached vice, but the folding tables I can bring are plastic. They won't work for attaching a vice, I don't think. My other wooden workbench (I brought 2 last year) is now set up in the spare bedroom/office and has my (virtually unused) reloading setup on it. It would be a good bit more hassle for me to disassemble it, pack the reloading stuff away, and pull it outta the back of the house to load up. Just not sure I want to mess with all that.

Definitely glad to see at least one reaction rod coming. For those bringing all your small tools, that's great, just have to try to keep up with them. I have a bunch of both tools and small parts. I think Steve was planning on bringing stuff to do the tap/screw on the takedown spring hole (under the buffer tube endplate) which will be awesome! He brought the stuff last year and we never got a chance to do any of them. If he's gonna be around this time, he can do a few and show us how. I volunteer every rifle I own first in line! lol j/k... anyone remember what size set screws we need for that mod? I can try to get some here through Amazon Prime. I know I bought some last year, but where they went is anybody's guess. <sigh> Same for the trigger mod - I just need to know the size.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I found out the takedown pin spring mod takes 4-40 1/8" set screws. Found those on Amazon Prime pretty easy.

Sounds like most folks are doing the trigger mod with 1/4-28 1/2" set screws, which is whole other ball of wax. Not finding those so easily. Originally, some older articles mentioned 1/4-20 set screws, which would be much easier, but does not match the threads of the grip screw, which is 1/4-28. I'm looking for those set screws now (1/4-28).

Let me clarify - I have found the 1/4-28 1/4" easily. It's the 1/2" set screw in this size that is problematic. A couple people have mentioned they would have used the 1/2" over the 1/4". Anyone here can chime in?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can find the set screws at ace hardware. I think mine was 1/4 inch long, it will only screw into the trigger area a thread or so, it doesn't take much to do. All you need to do to get the absolutely correct setscrew for the trigger mod is to take the grip screw in and then check the threads that way. If the setscrew and trigger screw threads mesh perfectly it's the correct size and pitch. Plus if the setscrew is too long you need a shorter grip screw so if you want a longer setscrew get another grip screw that is shorter. I have some loctite as well for the mod if it's needed.

Wish I had the ability to bring a table but pretty much most of my projects and fileserver are sitting on it right now and that is the kitchen table so you can imagine the wife's frustration with me already. Taking it out would bring the wrath of Patois on me....

Bartles

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm planning on attending and hope someone can take me under their wing and walk me thru assembling a rifle. I should have all the parts for a build but know virtually nothing about ARs

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a problem. We'll either get your put together this weekend if you like, or we can do it another time your place or mine, since w're both in Bartlesville. Certainly welcome to come and do it at the get-together, though.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm planning on attending and hope someone can take me under their wing and walk me thru assembling a rifle. I should have all the parts for a build but know virtually nothing about ARs

Should be no problem they are really easy to put together, to me the parts just seem to want to fall into place. Have my third lower to put together right now and I am just itching to do it. If tR has extra's I may knock out a couple of those as well, LOL. But just sit near one of the ones who have done them before and it will be no problem. You will have a chance to try a couple different types of tools out and see if you want to buy some for yourself and which ones work best for you.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, been busy busy here lately but we are still set for using the shop on Sunday.
I will probably be there about 11 if anybody wants to come in early.
The shop does have one vice in it and I may see if I can rig up my personal vice from the house.
Think I have a upper vice block and a wrench.

Deano

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Official start time is 12:00, I'll be there a bit early to clean up.

Address is
4136 S. 70th E. Ave Suite "J"

basically a block south of Sports World (41st east of Sheridan

My number is 918-688-2131 if you need to call.

Bring a chair!

I'll bring my Kuerig for anyone who wants coffee.

Deano

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep it in mind, we've done this annually but depending on trIdiot and my schedules it's possible we may do another one in the fall. I haven't discussed it with him so he may say No, not only no but hell no! lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom