Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not meant to be funny but it comes from my skepticism for the hype and fear-mongering of this covid panic; with just about everyone being reported as dying with the Covid, where are they going to find cadavers with healthy enough organs for transplant?

Woody

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not meant to be funny but it comes from my skepticism for the hype and fear-mongering of this covid panic; with just about everyone being reported as dying with the Covid, where are they going to find cadavers with healthy enough organs for transplant?

Woody

1. They don't use "cadavers."
2. There are plenty of traumas to go around.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Per many in the Trauma units in Tulsa, last year was one of the worst they'd seen.

I heard the same thing the couple of days I was at OU. That Trauma Unit had a revolving door that spun the whole time I was there. A couple of the nurses joked with me that they wanted to go up to the "Covid Unit" so they could get some rest. I really do think I was the only patient there who didn't push their call button every 30 seconds for something. They also fussed at me for getting out of bed and moving around without help. I dunno why. They wanted me up; they taught me how to get up without help; and I wanted up. Seemed like the thing to do. Lol

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Woody

1. They don't use "cadavers."
2. There are plenty of traumas to go around.

JD8 is pretty much correct. Wife and I have signed up to be "whole body" donors upon our deaths. The outfit we are with wants people that are organ donors, so upon our deaths, our organs are up for grabs before the rest of the body goes for science or whatever. If there is anything left after that, it gets cremated and family gets the urns.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Woody

JD is correct-cadavers aren’t used for transplants-except for maybe tissue like corneas or skin. But living donor organs do come from patients who are declared brain dead, but still on the vent with a beating heart & functioning lungs, liver, kidneys. The brain dead patient is taken to the OR with several procurement teams flown in that waiting for their organ. Once the aorta is cross clamped, the heart is taken first because it only has 4 hrs to get into the new chest. Than lungs, & others are taken. You can be a living donor too with a kidney & part of your liver or lung. My info is dated as I worked on the transplant team about 10 yrs ago, so some info surely has changed. Correct about trauma, as there is often a “donorcycle” accident with a brain dead 20 something guy who didn’t wear a helmet & donated a healthy heart & lungs. I think brain dead stroke patients were also common donors. However, there has always been a national shortage of donors & lots of people die waiting for an organ. Regarding covid pandemic, I have no info on any drop in donors, but it would make sense as a covid + donor may be on an the exclusion criteria like HIV was or cancer history.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Um - eh - when you die, you become a cadaver. AKA dead body. I do understand the "brain dead" aspect with functioning organs, and I do understand we have the ability to donate things like a kidney, etc. That said, how many organs and/or other tissues can they harvest from someone dying or recently dead of/with the Covid?

Woody

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Um - eh - when you die, you become a cadaver. AKA dead body. I do understand the "brain dead" aspect with functioning organs, and I do understand we have the ability to donate things like a kidney, etc. That said, how many organs and/or other tissues can they harvest from someone dying or recently dead of/with the Covid?

Woody

I'll take a stab at that. None. Cuz you cannot die of a communicable disease and be a donor. Those 2 things are mutually exclusive.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Woody

People that are on life share donors are not dead, they are on life support but the decision to withdraw care has been made. When they do withdraw care, the organs are harvested.

+1 to what Thatgirl said. Also consider the the fact that the median age group of individuals that pass away from Covid are much higher than they want. So, the wouldn't be suitable anyways in general. The point remains, there are more "donors" available with an escalated number of Traumas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom