Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Um - eh - when you die, you become a cadaver. AKA dead body. I do understand the "brain dead" aspect with functioning organs, and I do understand we have the ability to donate things like a kidney, etc. That said, how many organs and/or other tissues can they harvest from someone dying or recently dead of/with the Covid?

Woody

Not sure on the cadaver semantics as I’ve never heard them used in the hospital before. Cadavers are in the morgue waiting for transfer & are commonly referred to as cadavers in college A & P labs. A brain dead person with still functioning body is referred to as Mr. Smith or “the patient in icu room 211 & Lifeshare will be taking him to the OR for harvesting.” Never had a patient referred to as a cadaver in over 40 yrs. Or if the family wants to remove life support & not transplant, he/she is still referred to as the same as any other patient in the unit. At least in my clinical experience. Maybe technically the definition is different, but I’m not going to take the time to look it up.
The covid transplant question is a good one. Have no idea because it’s so new. If I had to bet, I would say none. Maybe in the future for kidneys or heart, but never lungs due to the ARdS clinical picture. Dying covid patients have lungs that don’t work anymore, & sometimes have to go to ECMO. Transplant docs want healthy lungs. And some covid patients even get lung transplants because of the severity of their lung damage.

Last edited:

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
upload_2021-1-4_20-21-54.jpeg

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That contradicts what the liberals on this forum/medical people say.
I think the state has a report on the % of covid patients that you can reference. Not sure of the Methodology for the report, is it an average of all hospitals or what. I can only speak to the 2 hospitals I work at. I know the covid #’s but unsure if the maternity beds are counted in the total reported to the state, which can change the covid % drastically. But generally speaking, the hospital bed #’s are overwhelmed by the covid pandemic. ICU’s are still overflowing into other parts of the hospital. If that means 32% or 40%, I can’t say.
Unsure what liberal/conservative has to do with your job. I’m a conservative, and only report on what I see at work.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most Oklahoma hospitals are 35% full of covid-19 patients. it is what it is.

That contradicts what the liberals on this forum/medical people say.

A quick search confirms roughly 35% of ICU patients are covid patients... the remaining patients are in for other ailments, currently at a total 88% capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom