Offsets when shooting at 45 and 90 degrees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone want to share the science of it? Heading out tomorrow to find my offsets but wanted to see if anyone had any tips and tricks...

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hold high and to the side the magazine is on. For an IPSC target at 200 yards you need to be aiming around the corner of the shoulder on the right side if the ejection port is up, and around the shoulder on the left with the port down

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Kurt, that's pretty much what I gathered from researching it...it was fun putting it into action today. What a shame I never bothered to learn it/use it before.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was experimenting with rifle. I imagine the science would hold true for pistols as well although with less mechanical offset between pistol sights and barrel, and shorter pistol ranges, it might not matter as much?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was experimenting with rifle. I imagine the science would hold true for pistols as well although with less mechanical offset between pistol sights and barrel, and shorter pistol ranges, it might not matter as much?

That's what I was curious about, not as drastic for shorter ranges? I always see the Gangster style crap, and wonder if you are shooting around barricades if it would come into effect?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, I have a small pistol with a laser and I had wondered how it might shoot if I had to grab it while still in the bed holding it sideways. I will try that the next time I am shooting.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
at normal, effective handgun ranges, you can treat the bullet trajectory as if it were a laser, and align the sights on the spot you want to hit and squeeze, regardless of its orientation with the earth.
lasers; it would depend on where the beam is zeroed; but if youre using a laser on a handgun in a defensive situation, treat it the same, put the beam on where you want ventilation .

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I really just use the laser to test how well I can aim without using sights. I "feel" my target and then turn on the laser instead of pulling the trigger to see how close my wrist/hand feel works. I do pretty well most of the time. One morning I decided to try while I was still in the bed in various positions. Lying on my side not using sights was an interesting feel. Then got to thinking of what the actual trajectory of the bullet might be. I will give the "sideways" shot a try and see how it works with the laser pointer for reference. Thanks for the input.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
at normal, effective handgun ranges, you can treat the bullet trajectory as if it were a laser, and align the sights on the spot you want to hit and squeeze, regardless of its orientation with the earth.
lasers; it would depend on where the beam is zeroed; but if youre using a laser on a handgun in a defensive situation, treat it the same, put the beam on where you want ventilation .

Thanks Mike. So as long as the line of sight on a pistol remains in a straight line, at normal distances of up to say 50 yards, you should be fine, correct? At what point does it start to affect rifle sighting? I saw Kurt mentioned 200 yards, does it affect it at 100 yards also, just not to the same extent? I am assuming it is just a matter of shooting and learning your weapon and your tendencies. To be honest, I had not thought about it before. Is it for open sights, or red dot, and scopes are affected the same?

Latest posts

Top Bottom