Oh Norman..........Mask Alert.......The Sky is Falling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Nature article you shared makes the point that aerosols are appear to be a major way that the virus is spread. The size of aerosol droplets, according to the article, is around 4 to 5 micrometers (microns) or somewhat less, if I am reading it correctly. This is substantially larger than the 0.125 micron size of the virus. The article I cited discusses three ways in which masks capture particles and droplets smaller than the fabric pore size. Do not be misled into thinking that masks are ineffective if the pore size is larger that the droplet to particle size.

If masks did not work, medical professionals would not be using them.

The article I cited lists these conclusions:

Masks are not chainlink fences through which a water hose can be sprayed. Masks are a cost-effective means of reducing the transmission of COVID.

Your points about improperly handled masks being a means of spreading the virus have limited merit but I believe they are taken from guidance for medical personnel working in sickroom environments. This advice cannot be directly applied to members of the public who are trying to reduce spread in an epidemic, not moving in and out of "hot zones" in a hospital or sickroom. Just wash your hands or use hand sterilizer after taking off your mask....and do not wear your mask inside out by accident.
Sorry, bud but doctors are not using homemade cloth mask and they properly handle and dispose of the mask they do use.
You're adding in your contex to my post. I didn't say mask don't work (as in all), I said cloth mask do not work.
You can move the goal post, comparing what goes on in a doctors office and what the average public is doing all you want. It isn't going to change anything.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The research I cited is from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences. The document is designed to guide people in the use of different types of facemasks and respirators during a pandemic.

It states that woven cotton (or other fabric masks) and improvised protection reduce the transfer of respiratory droplets to others. The authors could be wrong. Do you have scientific research indicating otherwise?

You stated that the virus comes in through the mask when the wearer inhales and goes out through the mask when the wearer exhales. You also stated that masks are like a chainlink fence with a water hose being sprayed through it.

StitchJones

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The research I cited is from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences. The document is designed to guide people in the use of different types of facemasks and respirators during a pandemic.

It states that woven cotton (or other fabric masks) and improvised protection reduce the transfer of respiratory droplets to others. The authors could be wrong. Do you have scientific research indicating otherwise?

You stated that the virus comes in through the mask when the wearer inhales and goes out through the mask when the wearer exhales. You also stated that masks are like a chainlink fence with a water hose being sprayed through it.
Sorry, was at the river with the kids a bit ago.

Is there something confusing about. 125 micron? You seem bent that a cloth mask is adequate to handle that risk.

What cloth does really well is absorb. That means you are basically wearing a sponge on your face that holds contamination (and has no standard or rating to keep said contamination out).

I noticed people are fond of using somessort of random analogy on this topic. So the chain link fence one is is as fitting as I can think of. Maybe that why you don't see medical professionals using cloth mask.

PPE has to meet the potential threat, I'm not making that up. It's a statement of fact. You can use a phone book as body armor, it doesn't mean it works or will save you.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What cloth does really well is absorb. That means you are basically wearing a sponge on your face that holds contamination (and has no standard or rating to keep said contamination out).

Cloth masks aren't aimed at keeping contamination out. They're to keep your own contamination in. Given that at a person isn't aware they've been infected for days to weeks after exposure, a person can transmit it before catching a confirmed positive. As it's found in moist droplets, that sponge of a mask is to keep you from unknowingly spreading it to others.

Hope y'all had fun at the river. I'd be fishing right now too if my mouthy, angsty, teenage punk@ss nephew weren't too busy chasing the neighborhood girls.

StitchJones

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cloth masks aren't aimed at keeping contamination out. They're to keep your own contamination in. Given that at a person isn't aware they've been infected for days to weeks after exposure, a person can transmit it before catching a confirmed positive. As it's found in moist droplets, that sponge of a mask is to keep you from unknowingly spreading it to others.

Hope y'all had fun at the river. I'd be fishing right now too if my mouthy, angsty, teenage punk@ss nephew weren't too busy chasing the neighborhood girls.
Man, the river is really low right now but the trails are too muddy to get back to the deeper holes due to the rain. So that's kind of a bummer. Guess I'll check wister lake tomorrow.

The problem is, that mask isn't going to hold much back in the event such as a cough or sneeze. PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is designed to protect against specific risk (we don't have to guess if it works because there is a standard).

Lol, hopefully he finds a girlfriend that likes to fish!

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TULSA, Okla. - The City of Tulsa passed a mandatory mask order for its citizens in public spaces Wednesday night.

The city councilors voted on the ordinance proposed by Mayor GT Bynum, and the mandate passed 7-2.

ZGXtreme

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably until a viable and affordable treatment or cure is developed.

We still haven’t cured the cold, flu, MERS, SARS, etc.

It just seems like we are writing a blank check on time waiting for some magical medicine to make everyone feel safe again.

Even the flu vaccine doesn’t provide the safety net for the flu many state they are waiting for with COVID.

Bill Gates was correct... fear is control.

Latest posts

Top Bottom