OK 3-Gun Championshi - Final Stages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot the federal 50 grain hollow points from walmart. cheap enough for me and available. Decently accurate however when I shoot a coyote, if its not exactly in the right spot, I sometimes have to put another one in him. So I started aiming for the neck or head. Solved that problem :)

I also bought some 12 gauge tonight. 8 shot? is that ok? I have no idea.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the AR you can shoot whatever makes the gun go boom accurately. You don't need any neck or head shots for the paper people unless Mike makes us shoot 'em there.
7 1/2 or 8 shot is perfect for knocking down steel targets. You will want a Light Modified, Modified, or Improved Modified choke for the steel and possibly a skeet or cylinder choke for the clays.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple of 3-gun noob questions:

I have a Maverick 88 and a 1911. As mag tube extenders are not available, I will already be behind so to speak, but would it be worth it to buy .308 and borrow/beg to shoot in HM? Or leave the pump in the truck, bring .223, and beg for a autoloader AND an AR?

And if showing up with a box of ammo and motivation is kosher, surely those with AR platform weapons have a list of rounds they don't really want going through their barrel? More picky than your average AK owner I would suspect. Steel cases, yes/no? 55 grains pretty much standard? I haven't shot any AR's since Uncle stopped supplying me with one and buying my ammo for me, so I dunno much about the details.

Trying to spread the word about this; sounds both fun and divorce-causingly addictive. Also trying REAL hard to not buy an AR-10 or a FAL and solve my dilemma entirely. :rubhands:

I am bringing my 5.45x39mm AR15 for peolpe to borrow. I have a bunch of that $.15/round spam can ammo for it.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you guys want to do some serious research on 3 gun or any other action shooting sport check out the Brian Enos forum. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/. There are several of the top 3 gun shooters in the country on there giving advice on everything.
I must warn you though. There are some guys on there that don't know **** giving advice too. KurtM, Bigbrowndog, kellyN are 3 good ones to follow. They taught me a bunch.

Mr. Freeze

Marksman
Reaction score
On the AR you can shoot whatever makes the gun go boom accurately. You don't need any neck or head shots for the paper people unless Mike makes us shoot 'em there.
7 1/2 or 8 shot is perfect for knocking down steel targets. You will want a Light Modified, Modified, or Improved Modified choke for the steel and possibly a skeet or cylinder choke for the clays.

I haven't dissected the stages yet. You can run each one requiring the shotty with one choke, and change in between if needed?

Trying to get my FIL to come out with me, and he is kinda wondering what the cost is, roughly, so the MIL's head doesn't explode from surprise. I figure about a dollar/slug, whatever 7 1/2's cost, ~$18/50 .45 reloads, and ~$55/100 .223 unless there are deals somewhere I'm unaware of.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't dissected the stages yet. You can run each one requiring the shotty with one choke, and change in between if needed?

Trying to get my FIL to come out with me, and he is kinda wondering what the cost is, roughly, so the MIL's head doesn't explode from surprise. I figure about a dollar/slug, whatever 7 1/2's cost, ~$18/50 .45 reloads, and ~$55/100 .223 unless there are deals somewhere I'm unaware of.

This is my cost. I already had some of these but I'll start from scratch.

100 rounds .223 federal 50 grain jhp from WalMart $40
50 rounds 40 S&W Blazer fmj from pawn shop $16 x2
25 rounds of 12 gauge bird shot from WalMart $5 x3
5 rounds of S&B 12 gauge slug from Cheaperthandirt $4 x5

I want to bring plenty just in case there is some extra goodness at the end or if anybody needs a few rounds of something. So I spent right at $110, and I will have plenty left over for next time. You and your FIL could Probably split $170 and be good. I am a newb and have never done this so I want to come prepared. I rounded up most prices and did not include tax. This is what I could find that was available and decently priced enough for me.
YMMV

I passed on a Pawnshop "deal" that was selling PMC .223 for $10 a box of 20. $.50 a round for target/plinking ammo is a thing of the past as far as I am concerned. Went to walmart last night and their shelves were running over with ammo. He said he had so much he didn't know were to put it all. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Mr. Freeze

Marksman
Reaction score
This is my cost. I already had some of these but I'll start from scratch.

100 rounds .223 federal 50 grain jhp from WalMart $40
50 rounds 40 S&W Blazer fmj from pawn shop $16 x2
25 rounds of 12 gauge bird shot from WalMart $5 x3
5 rounds of S&B 12 gauge slug from Cheaperthandirt $4 x5

I want to bring plenty just in case there is some extra goodness at the end or if anybody needs a few rounds of something. So I spent right at $110, and I will have plenty left over for next time. You and your FIL could Probably split $170 and be good. I am a newb and have never done this so I want to come prepared. I rounded up most prices and did not include tax. This is what I could find that was available and decently priced enough for me.
YMMV

I passed on a Pawnshop "deal" that was selling PMC .223 for $10 a box of 20. $.50 a round for target/plinking ammo is a thing of the past as far as I am concerned. Went to walmart last night and their shelves were running over with ammo. He said he had so much he didn't know were to put it all. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

If the WM in Stillwater is running over with ammo, I agree, there may in fact be a light at the end of the tunnel. I happened to be in my local WM running errands today as they were putting some WWB in .45 in the cabinet, said just put 'em in my cart. Inventoried my "arms room", had everything BUT 7 1/2's so picked up a 5 box pack of those. Just gotta get some slugs for him, and .223 for both of us.

It'll keep my wife from shitting bricks at the expense if I get him involved! FIL-SIL time and all.....

Airic

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to chime in and say that this kind of match looks like its exactly what I've been looking for to get started in 3 gun. Sounds like a newbie friendly environment. I'm a former OK shooter, been to okc gun club plenty of times (I'm wearing the 07 open/production state shirt right now...lol). I probably wont be able to make it to this match since i'm going to area 4 this weekend, but I would like to make one next month.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to chime in and say that this kind of match looks like its exactly what I've been looking for to get started in 3 gun. Sounds like a newbie friendly environment. I'm a former OK shooter, been to okc gun club plenty of times (I'm wearing the 07 open/production state shirt right now...lol). I probably wont be able to make it to this match since i'm going to area 4 this weekend, but I would like to make one next month.

I got bad news my friend. This is the first and last match on the schedule for 2009 because the holidays screw up the 3rd Sunday in November and December. So unless we all band together and force Mr. Pinto to take a break from his turkey day feast and Christmas presents in order to setup a holiday match or two you better come out to the match on the 18th.
If you are shooting area 4 on Friday look me up. I'll be the guy with the Glock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom