OKC Local Knifemaker: need buff/polish on knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loslosbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a large knife that has gotten somewhat disfigured by slicing pineapple. Brush, barb wire, tree limbs, none of that bothered it but a piece of fruit made it UGLY. Want to prevent more pitting.

Needs buff/polish.

Can anyone recommend a local, established, legit, together knifemaker for this? I"ve lost a nice knife in California to a goofball this exact way and don't need garbage...this knife/short-sword is beat but its very important to me.

Thanks mucho in advance!

G.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was waiting on someone else more qualified than me to answer this, but this is what I would do. Pick up some white and pink buffing compound and a polishing kit for your Dremel tool if you do not have a buffer. Then just buff it out, unless its in very bad shape, then you can sand it out with various grits of wet sanding paper, then buff it out.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there is someone here that finds an OKC/Edmond refinisher I have 2 pairs of scissors that need to be polished...(My grandparents were tailors and these were their scissors and I want them restored)

chask

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that a few years ago there were several knifemakers around here but I don't actually know them and have no idea if they are still in the business or have the equipment to do this kind of stuff. I'll try to find out.

I belong to another forum that is primarily knives. I should probably add that I have not been on that forum in quite a while. They have a lot of members throughout the country and around the world. Many of them are knife makers, to one degree or another. They range from the ones who do it by hand completely from scratch, to those who pimp knives for others (modify a production knife, often heavily - making it look, feel and behave like a completely custom one) to guys who just like to change their own knives a little (make new scales, and/or change the blade grind, etc.). One neat thing about that group is that the local and regional members often get together for all sorts of stuff and then they also have a national get together in Vegas every year. At one point I had some contact with a few of them around OKC. I do remember that this bunch met for breakfast once a week or month somewhere over on NW 39th in OKC and the couple of names I recognized from the forum had very good to excellent reputations on that other forum. They were all fixed blade guys though and I am not. I am almost exclusively a folder type of guy so I never really tried to get together with them - well, that and I am not exactly an early morning type either. It's been at least 2-3, maybe 4 years since I last had any contact with any of them but I'll try to find one of them. This probably will take a while. Unfortunately I have absolutely no personal experience with any of them, but it at least might be a place to start if the person has to be local. As I think about it I think there was one guy up around Stillwater or just north of there who ws starting to make knives about the same time. He was really into some unconventionally shaped blades and folders but I've seen his work and don;t doubt he could do what you want. Finding him will likely be a similar ordeal though.

Another alternative - Every now and then I see some local knife makers at some of the gun shows down at the fairgrounds in OKC. Again, these were fixed blade makers so I really did not look too closely at their work or pay much attention to where they were from, but I do recall seeing some very nicely polished and very shiny blades. I am pretty sure if they were not from the OKC area they were not too far away - maybe an hour or so for most of the ones I remember seeing. The Fairgrounds website says there is a show on April 26-27 in the Travel and Transportation Building (a week from this weekend - RK Gun Show). There are other gun or related shows May 3-4 (Gun, Knife and Outdoor Equipment Show), May 17-18 (OKC Gun Show), May 24-25 (Gun, Knife and Outdoor Equipment Show), May 31-June 1 (Grand American Arms Show), June 7-8 (Gun, Knife and Outdoor Equipment Show), and June 14-15 (RK Gun Show). I have no idea which ones the knife guys frequent but I'd bet you would find some makers at at least one of those shows. A few phone calls to the people putting on the show might tell you what to expect.

Another thing you might run into is that some of these guys may not want to take on that kind of work or you'll have a little wait getting it done, or maybe a long one. I do know some guys over in AR who do this but they also are makers and they are usually pretty backlogged. In fact, most of the ones I would let touch any of mine are either pretty busy or have retired from knife making altogether. I'd have to do a lot of hard begging and bribing to get them to do anything.

Funny thing, at this last Wannenmacher's show I was talking with a friend of mine who shows there every year. He used to be a knife maker but is just a dealer now. He told me that he used to occasionally get knives in trades that were kind of beat up. When he still had his knife making gear set up, he said he could take a blade that looked pretty used (maybe even abused) and in about 2-4 hours get it looking and working just like new again. He was talking about folders though.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The leader at the coffee shop was George Englebretson who passed away several years ago. They still meet at 1 pm for coffee to discuss and review and show off their recent purchases. Dunkin Donuts

Latest posts

Top Bottom