OKCGC Action Rifle Match 8/29

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never shot in one of these, but I'd love to humiliate myself in front of everyone! That being said, I'm almost done with my AR and it is going to have a 24 inch barrel, how much of a PITA would that be for an action match?

You should be fine. I have shot Practical Rifle Matches and 2 gun with my 18" (I know 18 isnt 24), and other than people telling me I am running a hunting rifle (I guess they are just jealous they dont have the length. lol), everything is kosher.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never shot in one of these, but I'd love to humiliate myself in front of everyone! That being said, I'm almost done with my AR and it is going to have a 24 inch barrel, how much of a PITA would that be for an action match?

I have a 19.5" barrel with a comp on it. That should put me around 22 real inches. I don't think you will have any problems.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those stages sound awesome. :cool: I've literally never done any >100 yard shooting before. AR is sighted in at 40. I'd better start learning some holdovers...

We will be shooting 10" circular plates with 5" square heads at the longer ranges. With a 40 yd zero you should still be aiming at the target on the long stuff. It's the head shots at 100 that will give us trouble.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never shot in one of these, but I'd love to humiliate myself in front of everyone. That being said, I'm almost done with my AR and it is going to have a 24 inch barrel, how much of a PITA would that be for an action match?

I'd bet you a box of ammo that the winner of the match will have at least an 18" barrel with a 2-3" compensator on the end. So other than the weight and lack of compensator, a 24" bull barrel isn't a problem at all.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok folks. We are a go for Sunday. See you all at the range. Anyone interested in helping with setup, shouldn't be too much to do, we will be out there Saturday around 3:00pm or so. Weatherman says a bit of a cooldown this week. Woohoo.

M