Oklahoma Drivers License

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a quick question gents. My sisters drivers license lists a PO Box address and she was told by a local gun store she couldn't purchase a pistol without a physical street address. I've never heard this and was wondering if it's true?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard it a few times. I was picking a gun up at Sooner State Pawn and a buyer was in a similar situation.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought a PO Box was for people that didn’t have a real address. Like people that bounce around a lot. If that’s so then I can understand why the dealer refused.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought a PO Box was for people that didn’t have a real address. Like people that bounce around a lot. If that’s so then I can understand why the dealer refused.
Lots of folks have PO boxes. My inlaws kept getting their mail stolen from the curbside box in a nicer section of Broken Arrow and decided to get a PO box.
You can produce a passport etc that lists a physical address to give the FFL.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know why she has a PO Box address other than maybe it's because she's been a traveling nurse. She wants to settle back to OKC and has gotten an apartment but her license is still a PO Box. I told her to go and get a new license with her current address.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the ATF, this is what is acceptable for an FFL to transfer a weapon.

What form of identification must a licensee obtain from a transferee of a firearm?
The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license.

A combination of government issued documents may be used to meet the requirements of an identification document. For example, a passport which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of the holder may be combined with a voter or vehicle registration card containing the residence address of the transferee in order to comply with the identification document requirements. A passport issued by a foreign government is also acceptable so long as it has all of the required information.

Whether a hunting license or permit issued by a retailer meets the definition of an identification document is State law specific. This license or permit meets the definition of an identification document if the State in which the retailer is located has authorized the retailer to supply State issued documents. If the State recognizes the hunting license or permit as government issued, then this license or permit would qualify as being government issued for the purposes of supplementing another government issued identification document.

A description of the location of the residence on an identification document, such as a rural route, is sufficient to constitute a residence address provided the purchaser resides in a State or locality where it is considered to be a legal residence address.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-form-identification-must-licensee-obtain-transferee-firearm

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day when I had a store this came up many times and the result was : The ID proved who they were. Then they showed 90 days plus of utility bills with their name to prove residency requirement.
Take utility bill and write "the service address" as place of residence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom