Oklahoma gunsmithing schools, classes, clinics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any Vo-techs offering gunsmithing? Or how about this maybe a clinic or class. I'm open to most types of classes. Let me know. thanks
Dave

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember which one but either the vo tech in Choctaw (Eastern OK County Vo Tech) or Midwest City offers a gun smith class. I remember seeing it in the catalog they send out each semester but I'm not sure which one.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GC is enrolled in a gunsmithing class at Canadian Valley Vo-tech right now. He is really enjoying it.

Both GC and I are Glock armorers and have taken their classes. We have talked about taking a "vacation" and taking some classes at the SigSauer's Academy.

So ... you might check Glock and SigSauer's websites for armorer's classes. I took a Glock armorer's class several years ago and liked it.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why was it a waste of time?

The "instructor" would put on tapes of AGI's gunsmithing class and call that teaching.
All of the videos would only show you how to disassemble 1 type of handgun or 1 type of revolver or 1 type of shotgun etc.... and then show you how to dip the guns in cleaning solvent and how to scrub them clean.
The "instructor" took no time to really teach anyone anything.
The most informative day there was when we had a show and tell where the students brought in one of their personal guns to show off to the rest of the class and tell what they knew about their particular gun.

Like Firecop said.... Total waste of time.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should just take some classes on machining. You won't get the armorer's info, but if you want to actually do some work, then you'll need to know how to remove metal accurately and/or precisely. Which requires knowledge and practice.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most vo-tech or night school courses only offer a class that really only amounts to
cleaning your gun.
I was approached to offer courses many years ago. After going over a lesson plan
and figuring the number of hours needed.
A student would have to go about 5 nights a week just to cover and retain the information
on 1 subject.
Most of these courses would be hard pressed to teach even an experienced
machinist how to do some of the operations, While only meeting for 2 hours, 1 time a week for 4-5 weeks
or whatever their current schedules are.
There is a big difference between going to class once a week and getting it drummed into your head everyday
for a whole semester.

Latest posts

Top Bottom