Oklahoma gunsmithing schools, classes, clinics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input. I'm trying to guide my son. I think that we will start with machining at one of the Vo-techs and some welding to get started. Then maybe next summer we'll do some of the week long classes

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hire yourself out as an apprentence...It sounds like a lost leader because you are working for nothing and doing all the cleanup work but you will also learn more in one week of actual work in a gunsmith shop than you would taking a years worth of classes.
And buy some books... I would start out with the Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks books, they are packed with a lot of experience that you don't normally get from a class but they do cover real world problems and shortcuts.
also decide exactly what you want to do...there are many different kinds of gunsmiths and we each specialize in specific things, If you want to do restorations like I do then plan on about 30 years of experience in every other field before you try it.
If you want to just repair guns then you just need to learn to drive a screwdriver. hammer and punch. You can get 75% of all the parts you need from the dozens of parts suppliers, you just have to learn who they are and what they carry.
If you want to specialize in sights then learn to run a mill so you can cut dovetails.
In Stocks then learn to carve wood and do checkering, staining, varnishing and butt-stocks.
In Barrels then get a lathe and a mill and learn the basics of chambering, riffling, sights and fitting.
In triggers then learn to look through magnifying glasses for hours at a time.
In finishes learn metallurgy and chemicals and get lots of outdoor room with cover, water, gas and let the fire department know.
These are just a few of the special areas, there are many more.

But don't let me discourage you, Just do it.
and remember that you can send me your mistakes to repair.

Latest posts

Top Bottom