Oklahoma magazine limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't hunt with more than a 4 or 5 rounder for weight reasons, regardless.

I can totally agree with you on this one. Especially if you're doing a spot and stalk hunt, like hunting pigs in the summer time. A few extra rounds doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference but after hiking for hours at time and carying round a rifle all day, it makes you wish you could lighten the load anyway you can.

I usually only load my magazines with five at a time anyway. When I thought I was limited to seven I just didn't want the game warden being able to shove more than that into one of my mags, just incase I was checked. Now that I know I don't have a magazine limit I can comfortably use only 5 rounds in my 10 round mags with out fear of doing something wrong.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's a regulation that hasn't been, and needs to be, updated. Either restrict them all, or no restrictions. Looks like to me that it was put into place the only rifles they were worried about were AR's. That would explain why they set the .22 cal centerfire restriction. They left the 55 grain bullet weight in because there were probably a lot of people hunting with bolt action .223's. You can't cut the bolt actions out, but if they leave the 55 grain weight minimum in place they can't stop the AR's. Some genius some where probably said, "Lets restrict the magazines. That'll stop the AR's from hitting the woods." Which is stupid.

Since then people have started to hunt more, and more, with assault rifles. A lot of which aren't .22 cal. So the regulation REALLY looks stupid now. It's something that needs to be addressed, but legislature doesn't even know it's out there, or ODWC has tried to change it, and the legislature hasn't it deemed it to be worth changing.

Who knows. Could be completely wrong though.

Not a lot of assault rifles in civilian hands these days. I'm pretty sure that the number of them used in the field for hunting hasn't gone up much if any.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the .223 considered a .22 caliber centerfire rifle? I can understand .22 magnum? But thought the .223 centerfire would be considered a .223 caliber centerfire. I know it's just semantics but I was just curious.

Yep, sure is. So is a .22-250, and others. Now if the .22 magnum you are refering to is the .22 rimfire magnum, it's not included. But then again, it's not legal for big game hunting anyway.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about for coyote hunting? I assume that I can hunt coyotes with a 100 round beta drum for my AR? not that I would but I could?

Best ask a warden or call OWDC to find out. I'm betting that if you're on department land, the restriction applies, regardless of the target. I could be wrong, but you best ask those that will be enforcing it.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best ask a warden or call OWDC to find out. I'm betting that if you're on department land, the restriction applies, regardless of the target. I could be wrong, but you best ask those that will be enforcing it.
the restriction is deer gun season only

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a lot of assault rifles in civilian hands these days. I'm pretty sure that the number of them used in the field for hunting hasn't gone up much if any.

I would have to disagree with you on this one. If by assault rifle you're talking about any military style rifle (ar-10, ar15, ak-47 etc..). I visit the AR15 forums frequently and you wouldn't believe the number of members they have. Just about every gun store you go into these days has at least a couple of AR variants for sale or on display. And with remington coming out with their versions of the AR10/AR15, in camo specifically designed for hunting. Remington calls it the R15 series. These platforms are totally interchangeable with any AR15 part on the street today.

The AR15 platforms are becomimg common place in the woods now, albiet in numerous other calibers other than .223. Check out the AR15 forums hunting pages. There are more post in that one section in their forum than there are on the whole OSA forum together. And the number of folks that own them is only going to grow.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I meant assault rifle. Means select fire. Your standard off the shelf AR or AK isn't an assault rifle any more than my Browning BAR is.

NRA-ILA said:
ASSAULT RIFLE
By US Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect.

IMO, calling any Title 1 firearm an assault rifle or assault weapon just gives more power to the anti-gunners.

Latest posts

Top Bottom