1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Oklahoma sheriff and all of her deputies resign in protest over dangerous jail conditions

Discussion in 'News Links' started by NightShade, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Snattlerake

Snattlerake Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I heard on the news the judge offered her a raise in salary if she would return the prisoners. How does that happen? Judges have nothing to do with sheriff's salaries.

2. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Corruption....

3. Riley

Riley Sharpshooter

Pretty sure some of her facts are in error. Specifically "CO levels being lethal at 20". My understanding is 18 is perfectly acceptable in a commercial building. 50ppm is acceptable for 24 hours, 4000PPM is lethal in 10 minutes. 30 minutes is 800ppm, 60 minutes at 400 PPM.

It's also nice a sheriff has properly interpreted the US Constitution to determine its specifics for jails. Don't remember seeing those during my last gloss over.

Mold seems to me to be a cleanliness issue, one that could be reasonably solved by about $20 in bleach and a small pressure washer. Humm, who could make that happen I wonder?

I'd guess she'd had a plumbing survey done to determine the improper install? Doesn't mention it. Or, besides Constitutional Law, is the Sheriff also an expert on plumbing?

We used to use the acronym BLUF - Bottom Line Up Front. In this case I'd suspect that's the issue. Not enough staff to care for the 12 prisoners in the manner in which they'd like to become accustomed. Which of course would be solved with mo-mony. For a while, until of course it wasn't enough, again.

I expect there are problems but.....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  4. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    OSHA’s low alarm on breathing air is 10 ppm of CO. You’d be wrong about 18 and 400/4000.
    https://www.osha.gov/dts/sltc/methods/inorganic/id209/id209.html

5. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If it makes it to the media, it may not take OSHA as long as you’d expect. They hate bad press just as much as any other government agency.

6. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    This is just wrong. If she doesn't want to do the job she should resign. And she did. That judge can stick it up his ass.

7. Glock 'em down

Glock 'em down Sharpshooter

Rating
    97.7%
    Her resignation makes my cousin, Marcia Maxwell the only female sheriff in Oklahoma. She is the Hughes county sheriff. We grew up together. Her mom and my dad are/were brother and sister.

8. Snattlerake

Snattlerake Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    As you could probably tell I'm no fan of small county c
    Nah, I'm betting that is what she was told by the local fire department when they did their "survey".

9. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

OK County has been the proverbial "sh*t show" since it was built. I knew a couple of guys who worked for for OK County at the time, and they thought it was going to be condemned before it even opened. It sounded like it was a close race to see whether the incompetence of the designers was worse than the construction, and it's patently obvious that the guys who designed the jail didn't have a clue about designing jails.

I've seen more than one news story on the staff office areas having to be evacuated because the inmates clogged up the toilets to make them overflow, flooding the offices below the toilets with sewage.

10. Riley

Riley Sharpshooter

But we're not talking about breathing air.....this would be atmospheric....from the above OSHA ref....Bolding mine.

"The following table gives the levels of COHb in the blood which tend to form at equilibrium with various concentrations of CO in the air and the clinical effects observed (5.21):

Atmospheric
    CO (ppm) COHb in Blood (%) Symptoms
    70 10 Shortness of breath upon vigorous exertion; possible tightness across the forehead.
    120 20 Shortness of breath with moderate exertion; occasional headache with throbbing in the temples.
    220 30 Decided headache; irritability; easy fatiguability; disturbed judgment; possible dizziness; dimness of vision.
    350-520 40-50 Headache; confusion; collapse; fainting upon exertion.
    800-1220 60-70 Unconsciousness; intermittent convulsions; respiratory failure; death if exposure is prolonged.
    1950 80 Rapidly fatal.

Adults (non-smokers) normally have about 1% COHb in the body. Cigarette smokers generally have blood levels of 2 to 10% COHb (5.20).

In examining the CO levels in an occupational environment, CO generated from tobacco smoking may need to be considered. These amounts may ordinarily be small, but when added to the amounts generated by occupational activities, may aggravate conditions from an already existing high concentration of CO (5.22, 5.23)."

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019