Oklahoma State Fair / Concealed Carry Prohibited

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...and therefore OSF Inc. falls into the category of "any person in control of any place described in paragraph 1, 2, 3, 5 or 6 of subsection A of this section" and are therefore not allowed to prohibit concealed carry there.

Leasing, Operating, or Managing a fairground or a park does not give an entity the authority to ignore State law.

Last edited:

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, they don't.

The City of Oklahoma City owns the fairgrounds (since 1917). The Oklahoma City Public Property Authority manages the public financing for the fairgrounds (under "lease" from the City of Oklahoma City since November 1, 1961 until all outstanding bonds are paid in full). State Fair of Oklahoma, Inc. has leased the property from the City of Oklahoma City (since August 3, 1982).

Source (PDF): http://www.okc.gov/finance_tab/yearenders/2011/OCPPA_publishable.pdf

Wow that's a long document. At this time I'm going to take your word for it and say I stand corrected.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow that's a long document. At this time I'm going to take your word for it and say I stand corrected.

I skimmed the context, but I found the information about the OCPPA lease by doing a find for "Oklahoma Fairgrounds", and the SFO lease by doing a find for "State Fair of Oklahoma". Or you could just search for the years 1961 and 1982 to go right to the pertinent information.

The 1917 comes from my recollection of Oklahoma History.

By the way, you can thank all of the demands for government transparency for getting these types of documents online.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2) Has OKC or any other .gov entity declared it a fairground?

From the above pdf:

On August 3, 1982, the Authority and the City entered into a management agreement with the State Fair of Oklahoma, Inc.
(Fair), a private, nonprofit corporation. Under terms of this agreement, all fairgrounds-related property (Fairgrounds),
owned by the City and the Authority, is leased to the Fair. The Fair, in return, agrees to operate, manage, and maintain the
Fairgrounds.

Well it sure seems like the government entity has declared it a fairgrounds. I sure wouldn't want to be the test case for that though.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it sure seems like the government entity has declared it a fairgrounds. I sure wouldn't want to be the test case for that though.

Even if not, it would most certainly fall under "park" or "recreational area".

If SFO's attorneys are really saying their policy is consistent with Oklahoma law, I'd like to know who they are so I never hire them.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, they don't.

The City of Oklahoma City owns the fairgrounds (since 1917). The Oklahoma City Public Property Authority manages the public financing for the fairgrounds (under "lease" from the City of Oklahoma City since November 1, 1961 until all outstanding bonds are paid in full). State Fair of Oklahoma, Inc. has leased the property from the City of Oklahoma City (since August 3, 1982).

Source (PDF): http://www.okc.gov/finance_tab/yearenders/2011/OCPPA_publishable.pdf

Whoa....Back it up a second here.

If the City of Oklahoma City has leased their property to State Fair of Oklahoma, Inc. I'm fairly certain that State Fair of Oklahoma, Inc. has legal ownership rights as long as their lease is valid, do they not? I'm sure there are many terms and conditions binding both parties to said lease, but I can't think of a legal method that would allow the City to dictate to State Fair of Oklahoma, Inc. what they could or couldn't do as far as State Law goes. :anyone:

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whoa....Back it up a second here.

If the City of Oklahoma City has leased their property to State Fair of Oklahoma, Inc. I'm fairly certain that State Fair of Oklahoma, Inc. has legal ownership rights as long as their lease is valid, do they not? I'm sure there are many terms and conditions binding both parties to said lease, but I can't think of a legal method that would allow the City to dictate to State Fair of Oklahoma, Inc. what they could or couldn't do as far as State Law goes. :anyone:

To me, state law is very clear regarding what a controlling entity can and cannot do of a specifically-exempted government-owned property. The City of Oklahoma City cannot dictate anything to the contrary.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?citeid=466200

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom