Oklahoma vehicle registration plates.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, and those new plates are a friggin' shameful way to identify a vehicle as Oklahoman.
Wonder if the design was someone's kids' First Grade Art project who needed a favor???

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, and those new plates are a friggin' shameful way to identify a vehicle as Oklahoman.
Wonder if the design was someone's kids' First Grade Art project who needed a favor???

No doubt, at first look when I saw it I was wondering if I should rotate the screen or turn my head sideways to figure out WTF it was. The ones we have now are IMHO better than the previous ones and the next ones are so flat and plain they may as well be a solid color.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind at all paying an extra $5 every few years for a mandated new plate design if it helps identify and get off the roads the 1-in-4 uninsured drivers in OK. Don't forget the state did away with mandatory vehicle inspections in 2001, so that's saved you $5 per registered vehicle you own each year for the past 15 years.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a. Is there any evidence relating cost of plates to reduction of uninsured motorists?
b. How does one save money because one mandated expense was shifted someplace else (tag fees)??

Not that any of this is relevant to a discussion about how twitter-logo-ish these ridiculous new plates look.
Just wondering...

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a. I have no idea - but starting in 2018, any vehicle registered in Oklahoma that still displays the old style plate will give law enforcement PC to stop it and investigate its registration and insurance status, thus leading to more citations to drivers for no insurance and (hopefully) impoundment of their vehicle.
b. I never raised the issue of shifting of a mandated expense from one place to another - just stated the fact that mandatory vehicle inspections ended 15 years ago, which saved all of us $5 per vehicle over the last 15 years. None of us have the time to examine all the new fees, and fee increases, that have been implemented in this state in that same 15 year time period.

I agree, they're not the best looking plates I've seen either - but I use personalized plates anyway, so these new ones will reside in the same dark spot in the trunks of my vehicles that the current ones occupy.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, they're not the best looking plates I've seen either - but I use personalized plates anyway, so these new ones will reside in the same dark spot in the trunks of my vehicles that the current ones occupy.
Backstrap I think your on to something, they created the new plate to increase the sale of personalized plates. ching ching

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dig a little deeper in your wallet. Yesterday I took my youngest son to get his DL renewed. He just turned 21, so I told him I'd pay for his license as part of his birthday present.

A class D license is now $33.50.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, they're not the best looking plates I've seen either...
Far better than the quasi-religious voodoodoo on the current version.
... but I use personalized plates anyway, so these new ones will reside in the same dark spot in the trunks of my vehicles that the current ones occupy.
^--- this.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Probably Hipster Boo Boo. It looks like the mockingjay from the Hunger Games, which is appropriate given our state government's recent history.

Perhaps the following would have been even more appropriate:

14063872_10157354729065054_3757343619874524086_n.jpg

a. I have no idea - but starting in 2018, any vehicle registered in Oklahoma that still displays the old style plate will give law enforcement PC to stop it and investigate its registration and insurance status, thus leading to more citations to drivers for no insurance and (hopefully) impoundment of their vehicle.

Their logic is to change the default plates every few years. Many people just pay for insurance for the month they need to buy the tag and then drop the insurance.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great artwork! Should have submitted it as an option. Really original.

If "they" get insurance only when the tag is due, this will work dandy, as will any future plate changes, since you get the "new" plate whenever you register.
Different topic, but I think if OK could mandate that automated expiration of insurance resulted in automatic warrants....well...it may work, although the additional workload on LEO would be pitiful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom