Oklahoma vehicle registration plates.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I would not mind paying an extra $5 each year IF the state issues a completely new and distinct plate EACH year. Yeah, I'd get tired of changing out metal plates each year. Still I think the value of having yearly distinct plates would deter a bunch of the currently uninsured drivers on our Oklahoma roads. I think I've heard of numbers as high as 25% being uninsured. Maybe our insurance costs would actually go down?

It will be necessary to screw those plates on well. Today the shy-locks go shopping for used plates in the salvage yard and the like. Under this system they would mostly be limited to stealing new plates off cars on the street and in parking lots.

Who knows, maybe some system can be devised to make the plate show "invalid" once its removed? Would be an inconvenience for someone who had rear bumper work done at the body shop but that's a small deficit for the much greater good..

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different topic, but I think if OK could mandate that automated expiration of insurance resulted in automatic warrants....well...it may work, although the additional workload on LEO would be pitiful.

So cancelling or letting insurance expire on a parked, sold, or salvaged car would result in a warrant? Will these be knock or no knock?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not if the plates can be designed to self-destruct when removed from a vehicle.

Would there be counterfeits? Maybe but if the penalty for possession, production, sale, etc were tall enough it would discourage this dodge. Maybe an expensive misdemeanor for the first offense. Make it a felony with big house time breaking rocks and a hard hit on the pocket book for second offense.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are too many variables for a self-destructing plate. You would need a specialty mounting system and specialty tools - both of which are easier to circumvent than to implement.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they're going to put a state bird on the tag, I think it should be a buzzard sitting on a perch overlooking a dollar sign with a gleam in his eye.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently the problem here is that the different colors of stickers just aren't enough for LE to tell whether the plate's current or not, since you have to show proof of insurance to get the sticker. So how about putting chips in the plates similar to those used by PikePass and readers in the cop cars - would make it easy to tell if the plate belongs to the vehicle it's installed on and whether or not it's current. Could even use some sort of portable automatic monitoring and reporting setup. Of course this will cause the privacy types heads to explode, but there's really not much privacy left anyway.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^That's such a GREAT idea, that it probably could NEVER be implemented because after tooling up, it would have to have a special division in the DPS created, overseen by a select committee, funded by a special session of the legislature that would be tied to a bunch of other items that have no chance in hell of passing.
PLUS - it would probably be cheaper in the long run, but our capitol boys and girls apparently have no vision beyond the next recess.

But I REALLY think that would be SUPER!!!!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently the problem here is that the different colors of stickers just aren't enough for LE to tell whether the plate's current or not, since you have to show proof of insurance to get the sticker. So how about putting chips in the plates similar to those used by PikePass and readers in the cop cars - would make it easy to tell if the plate belongs to the vehicle it's installed on and whether or not it's current. Could even use some sort of portable automatic monitoring and reporting setup. Of course this will cause the privacy types heads to explode, but there's really not much privacy left anyway.

RFID chips are easy to foil.

OCPD was approved to purchase Automatic License Plate Readers in 2012.

SB359 was signed into law June 6, 2016, and allows all law enforcement to use Automatic License Plate Readers effective when the following conditions are met:

• At least 95 percent of the state’s personal lines auto insurance market participates in the Oklahoma Compulsory Insurance Verification System (OCIVS) using a real-time web portal system
  • OCIVS is updated to allow for the provisions of the program to be implemented without interrupting or impeding any other lawful uses of the system

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd rather have just a solid color tag than that fruity looking one. I might have to spring for one of the other tag designs they have this time around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom