Old Tasco scope questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaning out my office and gathering a few items to get rid of I came across an old Tasco 601E Battler rifle scope. I bought this scope from TG&Y in about 1974 to put on an old 87A that was given to me. I never mounted the scope and 35 years later it is still new in the box with papers.

I never really learned to use a scope and still prefer iron sights (although aging eyes may change that). So a couple of questions:

From what I've read Tasco scopes are not top of the line , but were they any good in 1974? Is it just an old cheap scope for a .22 or does it have any value or even worth using?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tasco scopes came out as a low to medium High level of scope.
Back in the 80's they beat out Leupold in optics, and were the first to devolop the ballistics compensation type of scope that is the rage now. They had elevation rings for several different calibers but the medium/ high scopes never got popular as they were the victims of a bad economy.

I have two of the 6X24X40MM on my 06 and the .270 and have taken dozens of deer with each of them. I tried the BDC rings and didn't have the results I wanted as I reload and exceed the velocities that are "standard" for the rings.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There might be a collector somewhere that would trade you the value of a new modern scope for what you have. Some internet searching might pay off.

If you decide to use it, it should serve okay except, I suspect, in low light conditions.

What is the tube diameter? CB

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not exactly sure of the tube diameter. It is a 4x15mm crosshair reticle.
Scope rings are included. I recall buying the mounts also but do not know where they are.

Would definately be interested in trading or selling to a collector.

Latest posts

Top Bottom