Old truck new power --- How much HP do ya really need

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok... I know that Tim Allen taught us all that "More Power" is better, but how much horsepower do you really need? mid fifties ford truck. Thing is pretty light weight (like 3200#). do you really need 400+HP. For not too much money It looks like you can get a low milage pull 2.3L ecoboost with tranny and all the parts need to make it run. 310HP. Whats wrong with that? that's almost 3 times what was it came with.

Last edited:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.[/QUOTEE
How about a 2.3l turbo 4cyl out of a Mustang or New Ranger PU?

Sorry for the typo. yes. the 2.3 is what I'm talking about. $5K. for the whole kit. Wires, and re-flashed ECU. Seems pretty cheap to me[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you plan on doing with it?
drive. =). Its a stock (meh quality paint in the 90's) needs an IFS and drive train and that is probably all it will get. Just want something dependable. Not trying to turn heads. My youngest (8) is REALLY into cars. thinking that if I took it out of mothballs he would love to tinker on it with me.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes you need 400 HP and at least that much Torque.
It's a truck.. actually less Hp and more TQ would be fine.
I used to put 455 oldsmobiles in trucks..I had a few 455's.
Loved my Oldsmobiles.
Deck the blocks Mill the heads and port them and toss a less dished piston into them.
Pick a cam for what you intend to do with the vehicle and DONE!

Yea I suppose new stuff is cool also.
My 302 .030" over in a 6000 lbs vehicle would spank many 350's and the 351W in the same vehicle.
It's what is on the inside that counts.
I got a best of high 19 MPG and normally got 17.6 MPG with a carb NO overdrive 6000 lbs.

I have driven an ecoboost 6 cylinder dual turbo ford Limited with a bed full of camshafts to Huston and that crazy truck got 23 MPG! running 75-80 MPH.
Darn good power but it was not a 2.3.

My vote though is V8 and carbureted.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I suppose new stuff is cool also.
My 302 .030" over in a 6000 lbs vehicle would spank many 350's and the 351W in the same vehicle.
It's what is on the inside that counts.
I got a best of high 19 MPG and normally got 17.6 MPG with a carb NO overdrive 6000 lbs.

My vote though is V8 and carbureted.

Had a 351W earmarked for it sitting on the shop floor for quite a while but my buddy's lil brother was needing it for his old ford wagon so I sold it to him for a song. Also have a 91 F250 with a 460 in it that we joke'd would get rebuilt for it. Too many options. The Coyote 5.0 is what ford guys push for but they want a premium for them a cheaper option would be a 5.7 HEMI or late model 6.2L Escalade pull. Ultimately my current mood will decide what I end up with. If only money grew on trees....

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tyromeo55 I bet you did not see my 57 chevy with old school put the hurt
on my buddies 2015 5.0 Coyote mustang ..His mods were different intake and filter smaller blower pulley for more boost and a tune and higher flowing exhaust.
He said 550+ HP to the wheels..
Well here is a 350 chevy from a 1969 station wagon that has flat tops and cheap 305 heads and 280H comp flat tappet cam.
Stock pushrods and stock rockers all stock GM bolts hold it together.
Yes dual 4's 600cfm edelbrocks TH 350 and high stall and a lot of gear in the Ford 9".
I also run a Ford flex fan.
During the burnout the distributor moved and my total timing went from 38 to 28 and my upper end pull was diminished.

OH well I still got the win.
I have raced him many times and he can't pass me until 80+ mph from a roll.

He has a 6 speed with 373 gears.
His dad ran a 6.0 with LS3 heads in a nova that was much lighter than out tanks and it ran 12.0 et and he also could not take the 57 until 80+ MPH.

Right combo you do not need a lot of Power.. you need a lot of average power.

Not that you are building a drag racer.
That 57 pulls my 20 foot pontoon to the lake and No issues as it is not over cammed for that.
Just a good combo with a lot of head porting :)

The SBF heads are weak unless you step up to much newer stuff then they make the power.
I feel power is in the heads and pick the cam for the job and toss some compression at it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tyromeo55 I bet you did not see my 57 chevy with old school put the hurt
on my buddies 2015 5.0 Coyote mustang

Not that you are building a drag racer.

Love the 57! Sierra Gold??? My favorite color for that car.

At one time I was thinking I needed a quick car. Like all things I want. I slept on it a lot and the "want" went away. As long as it will get out of its way all I really care about is that it is reliable. The appeal of the modern engine is easy hp, reliability and its pretty much a drop it in and go solution. all the wiring that scares a lot of people does not bother me in the least.

Another though I'm kicking around is a late model 5.7L HEMI . super common and they seem like a real bargain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom