One big knife made from old rasp 13.5"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to make something different than normal from this rasp I found at a junk store. This one I put a lot of file work on, thumb jimping, clay quenched for differential heat treatment, put a large bolster on it, drilled a few holes in it for options of attaching lanyard at front or rear of handle, and some cool factor. With the thickness and the differential heat treatment this should be one tough dude.

13.5" total
8 1/4" blade with 7 1/4" cutting edge
handle is straight grain Ironwood.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks very nice.

This may be a dumb question, but I have a reason for asking.
Is the pattern on each side of the blade somewhat common, or are there only a few people using it?

Thanks.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks very nice.

This may be a dumb question, but I have a reason for asking.
Is the pattern on each side of the blade somewhat common, or are there only a few people using it?

Thanks.

No I made the knife from a farriers rasp and left some of the file in it for character. You can grind or forge it away but it looks cool leaving it, that's all. Does that answer your question?

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That does. Thank you. I have a few handmade items with the same patterns on them. It hadn't occurred to me that they correspond with the sides of a rasp. Now that I see it it seems obvious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom