One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-wi...gun-muzzleloader-deer-seasons/article/3729874

State wildlife officials will suggest a major change to the deer hunting regulations for the 2013 hunting season by proposing that only one buck could be killed by hunters during the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons.

Deer hunters still would be allowed a total of two bucks for all seasons, but under the proposal, one buck would have to be taken with a bow and the other harvested during either muzzleloader or gun season.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You brought up Arkansas, I like their 3 point rule... must have 3 points on one side except for a kids first buck of the year.

The article says they want to do it to grow bigger bucks, I think either way would be good, especially with crossbows now allowing more hunters the oppertunity ro hunt that might not have been able to pull a compound bow.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love that idea. Wish it was One buck tag, good for the entire season, any means of taking. It kills me to role up to the check station to see someone has shot a little buck. Minimum rack size like Arkansas has, like Oklahoma has with Elk. But I could see trophy poaching becoming an even bigger problem.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You brought up Arkansas, I like their 3 point rule... must have 3 points on one side except for a kids first buck of the year.

The article says they want to do it to grow bigger bucks, I think either way would be good, especially with crossbows now allowing more hunters the oppertunity ro hunt that might not have been able to pull a compound bow.
I went to a meeting several years ago the wildlife department had about trying to reduce the amount of does and increase the amount of mature bucks. The point was brought up about 3 points or better like Arkansas has. The response from the biologist was......"that wouldn't do us any good. A 1.5 year old deer can have 8 points." There were several good points brought up at the meeting(reducing the cost of doe tags, size restrictions on bucks, etc). Like Dennis said in another thread about the buck to doe ratio being so far out of balance in his area.I'm all for making changes but would like to see something done about getting the doe herd more in balance as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom