One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BASSIN....
how about no bag limit for doe at all??? If we really need to kill doe why have a limit!

I agree the Texas guys with the prices they have in their state all come up here. Plus a lot of Kansas guys come down here cause they have a one buck limit. So they kill their one in early Sept ML then just lease down here to hunt the rest of the year.
Here is my proposal on the none res....
Higher tag/license prices, say something like $75 lic and $325 for buck tag. Draw in only for none residents! Plus there is a catch, you have to buy a doe tag (Which can be cheeper say $50) before your allowed to buy a buck tag, but it's earn a buck so you have to kill a doe first before your allowed to kill a buck. You could also do like Iowa and you can only draw in a max of once every 3 years.

I'm also a big fan if the WIHP which I really would like to see Oklahoma get involved in.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to see non residents draw for all deer tags period.

As for 1 buck limit, I'm fine with that. I don't like the idea of "earn a buck" by killing a doe first, Hell you can't even kill a doe during gun season on a lot of public land. People shouldn't have to pass up a mature buck because they haven't turned in a doe yet. Too many people have jobs where they work 70-90 hours a week and very few days off to have to deal with that kind of stuff. Antler restrictions are not needed, think people should be able to shoot what they want, regardless of what I would consider a shooter. I believe that doe tags should be $10 instead of $20. Keep the either sex archery tags $20.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BASSIN....
how about no bag limit for doe at all??? If we really need to kill doe why have a limit!

I agree the Texas guys with the prices they have in their state all come up here. Plus a lot of Kansas guys come down here cause they have a one buck limit. So they kill their one in early Sept ML then just lease down here to hunt the rest of the year.
Here is my proposal on the none res....
Higher tag/license prices, say something like $75 lic and $325 for buck tag. Draw in only for none residents! Plus there is a catch, you have to buy a doe tag (Which can be cheeper say $50) before your allowed to buy a buck tag, but it's earn a buck so you have to kill a doe first before your allowed to kill a buck. You could also do like Iowa and you can only draw in a max of once every 3 years.

I'm also a big fan if the WIHP which I really would like to see Oklahoma get involved in.

Funny you should mention that. The land north of my hunting place is owned by Texans. The land owner told us he used to own it but they came in and made him an offer he couldnt refuse. It is a nice place with big deer and a huge hunting "lodge". It is happening more and more.

I think we should keep it the same as it is now. It has not been this way for too long. I think we should keep it this way for at least 10 years and see what happens....You might be surprised. I know that I have passed up marginal deer during ML knowing I will probably see them during gun season for the oppurtunity to keep hunting, which is opposite of tslabaugh opinion. I guess I am weird in that way.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those of you who think the one buck limit is a great idea, how about we eliminate over the counter buck tags all together and go strictly to a draw system for bucks??

I mean, if you REALLY want to reduce the buck harvest, as you claim, a draw only system would do it!!

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was taken from a blog online asking about Oklahoma going to a one buck limit:

"I hunt all three seasons and frankly it makes me mad that I have to let a deer walk early in the season hoping that a bigger one will appear later in the season, only not to get a second chance. I get no satisfaction shooting a doe. With a one buck limit, if I harvest a buck then my reasons for getting up early and going deer hunting are over."

Personally, this drives me nuts. Like cvrx4 said, pass on them with hopes of seeing them again, if you want to hunt longer. People just want to go out and blast deer because they have antlers.

Another way to do it is to have a 2 buck limit, but you have to "earn a buck" for the second buck by shooting a doe. After going back and rereading this thread, buzzgun posted only about 8% of people shoot two bucks (if I remember correctly). Maybe this would get people shooting a doe and then never harvesting that second buck because of a lack of opportunity. Win-Win!

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is it more satisfying to shoot a small young buck than it is a doe?

Good question. When I started deer hunting, it was a good season if you got any buck. I have hunted 9 days straight without seeing a single deer, you could only shoot a doe if you drew a tag, so we shot the first buck we saw because we wanted a deer to eat. Today, I just flat out won't shoot a little buck, if I need a deer for the freezer, I'll shoot a doe.

Seems like everyone wants to shoot big bucks, but too many will shoot a small buck before they will shoot a doe, I sure can't explain it??

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me like the guys who shoot small young bucks are the first ones to complain about there not being any big bucks where they hunt LOL

I can understand if it was like it was 30+ years ago. In the times like Buzz said, if you saw a deer you had a good year. But that ain't the case no more. There are big bucks on every corner of this state, you just have to be patient enough to wait for one.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd support a 1 buck limit, but don't know how that would affect the gun-only hunters that get their young buck on the first day of gun season and that's the only day they hunt. Last time I checked the biggest hit to young bucks came in gun season, opening weekend, and opening day at that. Most of those guys don't put any time in during archery or BP.

I've long wanted our management to be like Midwestern states and not Texas. Because fawk Texas. Kansas and Ohio are better role models. Real simple strategy: Low buck limits, keep gunpowder out of the rut. One buck limits, OTR non-resident buck tags, ARs etc, coupled with the increasing gun season lengths, and you boys west of I-35 or close to the Red River might as well be Texas at that point. You'll be fighting them for land with dollar bills. Texas manages deer solely to sell them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom