One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My concern is the folks that may hunt public or marginal private ground for two or three years, and the only thing they can get is a fork horn and never see a doe. Good for them. Trust me, In my tour around a NC Ok area this week, seeing the blinds with nothing but 2" high grass around them made me sympathetic to someone needing some protien

But would this be the case anymore if our buck quality goes way up?
Do those public spots and marginal private become good spots and our good spots become great spots?

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me pull a JB and stir the pot a bit.

I know people won't admit it here, and no I don't do it since my wife is only in the state half the time I hunt but how many of you have asked your significant others to purchase a lic and buck tag for you to use just in case that monster buck happens to walk by your stand and you already limited out??? I would bet there is a big problem and will become an even larger problem if you only allow one buck per year. With the online check and fewer in person check stations this will become easier to break the law. Things like this should be issued first. Enacting new laws before the system is fixed would be insane and is typical of govt agencies.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll admit it, I've not done it, or considered it. If that big buck walks by after I'm tagged out, I'll get cell phone pics and share them with OSA. Are you saying if your wife was in state all the time, you would consider it?

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be in favor, but it does seem to have drawbacks too. Pros and cons to everything. I do wonder though how the OWDC is getting enough statewide data to come up with these proposals, in particular to weight and age data that would be useful for determining types of bucks taken.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Limit non resident antlered tags to a draw or only allow non resident antlered tags every third year. That would probably slow the ingress of out of state hunters buying/leasing up all the land.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Parks...
It happens all the time. Heck, my wife got pulled over opening weekend as she was heading home with her buck. The GW that stopped her didn't believe she killed it and in a round about way insinuated what you are talking about.
The guy at the check station by our lease told us a while back how bad it is and said he sees guys show up at the check station decked out in camo with a buck in the back of his truck and the wife shows up in her car all Johnny Street Cloths to check it in. I personally have never done it but my wife also hunts. There ain't an snowballs chance in hell my wife would give me one of here buck tags LOL

Bassin...
If we decide to "Manage" to be a trophy state I think that will be a MUST!

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Limit non resident antlered tags to a draw or only allow non resident antlered tags every third year. That would probably slow the ingress of out of state hunters buying/leasing up all the land.

Ahh but there is the rub. Does the ODWC want to limit out of state hunters? I doubt it, they pay more and this proposal sounds like its catering to that idea. If the state is known for larger bucks then more out of state hunters come in=more money for ODWC. It is a slippery slope for sure.

I have two pieces of property I am allowed to hunt. The funny part is that both parcels are bordered by land owned, not leased by hunters from Texas.

When did it change from 3 bucks to 2 bucks per year? I only ask because I only hunt ML and gun and as such it has not been a factor in my limit. I dont need more than two or three deer a year. I dont think its been that long ago, let this two buck limit we are at play out for a few years. I am afraid we are teetering on the edge of too much limitation to the point we start losing large amounts of new hunters as it wouldnt be worth it to them.

Finally, once again I think its personally up to each person. My son gets leeway since he is new to hunting, and only hunts the first 3 days. "The brown its down" applies to him for now. I am looking for at least an 8 in our area (like I said in a previous post). The neighbors to the west have a 10 point or bigger limit.

To prove a point: Yesterday evening I saw 16 does on yesterdays hunt. I would have taken one but it was not a doe day. I hunted this morning until 10 and saw 12 does and a spike that came within 5 yards. I let him pass and am done for the season taking home some memories and tag soup.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh but there is the rub. Does the ODWC want to limit out of state hunters? I doubt it, they pay more and this proposal sounds like its catering to that idea. If the state is known for larger bucks then more out of state hunters come in=more money for ODWC. It is a slippery slope for sure.

This is why we up the price of non res tags and license. It's around $400 for non res in Kansas, Iowa etc. It's about half that here. We double the price of ours and cut the number of hunters in half.... Same money
We do draw only and limit the number of tags, plus like stated earlier limit it to a once every 3 years like Sascatchewan, Iowa etc. That will keep guys from hoarding lease or buying land.
Iirc it was 2004-2005 when we dropped our 3 buck limit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have two pieces of property I am allowed to hunt. The funny part is that both parcels are bordered by land owned, not leased by hunters from Texas.

let this two buck limit we are at play out for a few years. I am afraid we are teetering on the edge of too much limitation to the point we start losing large amounts of new hunters as it wouldnt be worth it to them.
A lot of truth to your comments. Once they become land owners, they can put up a chicken coop, put a tv antenna on it and a mail box in front and "become" a resident.
The two buck limit has certainly had its benefits. I've been hunting since the early 80's, and have never seen the quality of deer that we are seeing this year. Every year has made an improvement.
That being said, another comment about driving hunters away because of the antler restrictions is very true. They give up because its not worth their time to wait on a quality animal when they came out in the first place to put some meat on their table. We don't need to forget those folks that need the meat. They can't eat antlers.
I am being the devils advocate on this subject. Not to be combative, but to make sure that we keep all hunters on the same plane as those of us that are blessed with great hunting areas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom