One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ODWC harvest statistics show that only about 8% of hunters in Oklahoma kill more than one buck per year, a one buck limit really wouldn't do much to reduce the number of bucks killed.

Is this true? Holy crap if it is, the 1 buck limit is about worthless then. You gotta any numbers to back that up? I would like to see them! That is a really good reason not to implement it!

I can somewhat believe it. I mean I've got 5-6 guys hunting my place and RARELY does anyone take 2 bucks off the place.

Educate and promote. It will be a long uphill battle, but I am of the opinion that it can be accomplished, and in doing so you will win the trust and respect of your sportsmen for not "forcing their hand" in the matter! Yes I fully support some sort of QDM, but its gotta be on a "volunteer" basis. If not it just turns into more government regulations that sour the belly's of many of your constintuents. A good portion of which may just all out "revolt" and ignore the regulations anyway if you do implement them!

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this true? Holy crap if it is, the 1 buck limit is about worthless then. You gotta any numbers to back that up? I would like to see them! That is a really good reason not to implement it!

I can somewhat believe it. I mean I've got 5-6 guys hunting my place and RARELY does anyone take 2 bucks off the place.

Educate and promote. It will be a long uphill battle, but I am of the opinion that it can be accomplished, and in doing so you will win the trust and respect of your sportsmen for not "forcing their hand" in the matter! Yes I fully support some sort of QDM, but its gotta be on a "volunteer" basis. If not it just turns into more government regulations that sour the belly's of many of your constintuents. A good portion of which may just all out "revolt" and ignore the regulations anyway if you do implement them!

Wait a minute. So your opinion is that "a good portion" of hunters are slobs who don't care about the rules anyway? Then regulation will do no good. Heck, " a good portion" of hunters probably don't even have licenses, so they don't care about no stinking rules. Why even bother having a department to regulate it? We could save money by sending those officials home. We should ban hunting in general then as well, because according to your post, hunters are lawless criminals with guns.

On a more serious note, it's not that hard to do. Sportsman are followers of rules and regulations because of their character. When new laws/regulations are implemented, they follow them. According to the numbers above, less people actually shoot 2 bucks than like to brag about it every year. I'm going to try to find the number of deer killed versus the number of bucks as well. I'd bet it's fairly low as well. Some of the comments from people that I've seen show how hunting seasons will be regulated out of existence. Just because some don't bow hunt doesn't mean they shouldn't care about it too.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes, it is true. Those statistics came directly from the ODWC, there was a table posted on the website that showed hunter success rate including the percentage of hunters that killed more than one buck. Unfortunately, I have looked and can no longer find that document on the ODWC website. I just sent the webmaster an e-mail asking for help finding it, I'll post if I get a reply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom