Only YOU Can Protect Net Neutrality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seriously dont care about Netflix, but I see your point. What I do care about, and know, is that my business internet speed has increased consistently over the past few years with Cox, and my bill has not risen very much.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seriously dont care about Netflix, but I see your point. What I do care about, and know, is that my business internet speed has increased consistently over the past few years with Cox, and my bill has not risen very much.
Cox really is one of the best ISPs out there.
You can see on the chart above they consistently have some of the best speeds and their customer service is better than all the rest.

I don't care for their TV packages though.

If a ISP is allowed to block websites they could create internet packages like cable TV.
"Oh, you want to go fox news, you'll need this package".
The internet turned into a giant cable TV scheme.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

To me, that sounds suspiciously like competition and the free market works better than regulated services dictated from on high.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can see on the chart above they consistently have some of the best speeds and their customer service is better than all the rest.

If a ISP is allowed to block websites they could create internet packages like cable TV.

Content is the next the next big revenue stream that is going to get rid of data caps. Every new service line creates possibilities for new revenue while the older offerings quietly become a standard service.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well, I dont watch TV so maybe I dont have a good frame of reference in that regard. If creating packages like you describe for internet service was a thing, then I would have an issue. As it is, dont ISP's block some websites already? Wouldnt that just increase once the FedGov gets their mitts on it? I dont really know one way or the other. What I do know is I like as few regulatory fingers in the free speech pie as possible; Gov or business.

To me, that sounds suspiciously like competition and the free market works better than regulated services dictated from on high.
it seems to be the best of two less than ideal choices to me.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I dont watch TV so maybe I dont have a good frame of reference in that regard. If creating packages like you describe for internet service was a thing, then I would have an issue. As it is, dont ISP's block some websites already? Wouldnt that just increase once the FedGov gets their mitts on it? I dont really know one way or the other. What I do know is I like as few regulatory fingers in the free speech pie as possible; Gov or business.

it seems to be the best of two less than ideal choices to me.

No, open internet order we have been under until now makes it illegal block any legal website.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The solution, as I said earlier, is to pass new telecom legislation that fixes the deficiencies in title 1 regulation and then the ISP,s could be under title 1 again instead of the more rigorous title 2 regulations.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The strong suspicion is that they won't install faster lanes, they will slow all the other lanes down and call the lane they didn't slow down the fast lane.
What you are referring to is when several ISPs had congested peer links with L3. L3 Peering where Netflix had chosen L3 to be a CDN into those ISPs had degraded service. This was not unique to Netflix or Verizon. The L3 settlement-free links were congested by unbalanced CDN traffic, and as it pertained to going into those ISPs, this affected all transit and CDN traffic from L3.
For other CDNs like Akamai, when a peer link gets busy they just requisition more peering. They did not suffer any of these problems.
It appears that the dip coincided with Netflix's rollout of Super HD quality to its entire customer base.
http://blog.netflix.com/2013/09/highest-quality-hd-now-available-to-all.html
http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/isp-speed.png

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you are referring to is when several ISPs had congested peer links with L3. L3 Peering where Netflix had chosen L3 to be a CDN into those ISPs had degraded service. This was not unique to Netflix or Verizon. The L3 settlement-free links were congested by unbalanced CDN traffic, and as it pertained to going into those ISPs, this affected all transit and CDN traffic from L3.
For other CDNs like Akamai, when a peer link gets busy they just requisition more peering. They did not suffer any of these problems.
It appears that the dip coincided with Netflix's rollout of Super HD quality to its entire customer base.
http://blog.netflix.com/2013/09/highest-quality-hd-now-available-to-all.html
http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/isp-speed.png

I'm shocked :yikes2: you mean it wasn't intended throttling my some evil corporation....just someones poor planning?

Latest posts

Top Bottom