Only YOU Can Protect Net Neutrality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Comcast announces 2Gbps residential service...

Comcast Takes On Google With 2Gbps Internet Service

By Chloe Albanesius
April 2, 2015 11:45am EST
42 Comments

The goal is to make the 2Gbps Comcast Gigabit Pro available to about 18 million homes by the end of the year.

Gigabit Internet

There's been a lot of talk about Google's 1Gbps "gigabit" Internet service, but Comcast said today that it is planning a 2Gbps service, beginning in Atlanta.

Comcast Gigabit Pro is a fiber-to-the-home service that "will be offered broadly across the Atlanta metro area" starting next month, the cable giant said today.

The goal, Comcast said, is to make it available to about 18 million homes by the end of the year.

Pricing details were not released; Google Fiber will set you back about $70 per month for gigabit Internet service alone. As Ars Technica noted, Comcast's existing 505Mbps residential speed tier costs $399.95 per month, but Comcast told Ars that Gigabit Pro will not be that pricey and 505 customers will get a bump to 2Gbps.

"Our approach is to offer the most comprehensive rollout of multi-gigabit service to the most homes as quickly as possible, not just to certain neighborhoods," said Doug Guthrie, senior vice president of Comcast Cable's South Region, a dig at Google's city-by-city rollout. "We already provide the fastest speeds to the most homes and businesses in Atlanta, and access to Gigabit Pro will give our customers all the broadband capacity they need to stay ahead of future technologies and innovations."

Comcast already has a fiber infrastructure for its business-level Internet service (145,000 route miles), which promises up to 10Gbps for its 1.5 million customers. As a result, Gigabit Pro "will be available to any home within close proximity of Comcast's fiber network," provided they pay an installation fee.

That includes SunTrust Park, home of the Atlanta Braves. Last month, Comcast inked a deal with the team to provide Internet access there in exchange for a Comcast-branded office tower that will house an innovation lab. Comcast will wire up buildings in the vicinity, which includes residential units.

Google, meanwhile, recently announced plans to launch Google Fiber in Salt Lake City, while AT&T is expanding its gigabit Internet offering into Apple's hometown of Cupertino.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Won't do a dammed thing for those of us out in the country with no fiber/cable.
How far are you from downtown Ponca City?
I saw a piece on ONR about the wireless internet system the city of PC has built out.
Police cruisers with wireless repeaters mounted on them and everything.
Supposed to be a model system for other municipalities.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How far are you from downtown Ponca City?
I saw a piece on ONR about the wireless internet system the city of PC has built out.
Police cruisers with wireless repeaters mounted on them and everything.
Supposed to be a model system for other municipalities.

It is a pretty cool system. The nearest node is over three miles away, so no use to me. They are also looking at upgrading the system for higher speed. Currently, you have to have a pep wave booster to get any speed at all from the current system.

Right now I have a huge antenna on the roof that picks up a wifi service from the Ponca News service. The transmitter is over 15 miles away. Our service is spotty at best.
Running pretty good tonight. Just ran a speed test. Down load speed is 21.71Mbps, and upload speed is 8.13Mbps. Sucks on a good day.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sprint: Net neutrality means we can't stamp out download hogs
Not that we, er, needed to anyway, telco admits

18 Jun 2015

Sprint says America's new net neutrality rules – which kicked in last week – have forced it to stop throttling download hogs' mobile broadband connections.

Everything's fine, though, the US telco insists: it turns out this traffic strangling wasn't really needed in the first place.

Sprint, the third-largest carrier in America, slashed download speeds for subscribers making "heavy" use of its network. That practice, we're told, breaks US watchdog the FCC's net neutrality rules.

"For less than a year, Sprint used a network management practice that applied only at the level of individual congested cell sites, and only for as long as congestion existed. At such sites, we temporarily allocated resources away from the top 5 percent of heaviest users and to the 95 percent of users with normal usage, to try to allocate the effects of congestion more fairly. Once congestion at the site passed, the limitation automatically ended," Sprint told The Reg today.

"Upon review, and to ensure that our practices are consistent with the FCC’s net neutrality rules, we determined that the network management technique was not needed to ensure a quality experience for the majority of customers."

The statement did not mention the $100m tap on the wrist AT&T was levied this week for limiting its "unlimited" mobile plans. Miss Bell has vowed to fight the fine, which amounts to about three days of profit. The FCC ruled that the carrier misled Americans when it offered "unlimited" data but still subjected heavy users to reduced data speeds.

The FCC made the decision in a divided ruling with commissioner Ajit Pai filing an objection claiming the rulings are only being handed down retroactively and carriers could not take measures to avoid fines.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/18/sprint_fcc_net_neutrality_throttling/

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FCC votes to subsidize broadband internet for low-income households: http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/18/fcc-votes-to-subsidize-boardband-internet-lifeline/

Last month, the Federal Communications Commission announced plans to subsidize broadband internet service for low-income households. Today, the commission voted on the matter, approving the addition of internet subsidies to the Lifeline program that already offers both phone and prepaid wireless. Less than half of homes that make less than $25,000 have internet access, and today's vote offers help and provides steps to oversee the process, too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The statement did not mention the $100m tap on the wrist AT&T was levied this week for limiting its "unlimited" mobile plans. Miss Bell has vowed to fight the fine, which amounts to about three days of profit. The FCC ruled that the carrier misled Americans when it offered "unlimited" data but still subjected heavy users to reduced data speeds.

I got the letter telling me I was in the top 5 % of users on the unlimited program. Said they wouldn't cut me off after so much data use, but said they would slow me down. I hope they get the ruling shoved up their arse. I am paying for unlimited service.

Latest posts

Top Bottom