Open carry........am I legal ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off I have a valid CCW and by choice I walk before daylight.

There is a thread below about walking daily, through the neighborhood, since retiring April 1st and belly band holsters that I started a few months back and since then I've tried two different brands and they are just not working......ie too wide, seams rub on my bare skin, gun slips too far down in the pouch and or is not readily accesable etc etc.

I've learned to somewhat tolerate the bouncing of the little Ruger LCP .380 in the front pocket of my shorts but to be honest (no flames fellas) I just don't have a lot faith in the round.

I tried walking with the Smith .38 special Airweight this morning and the weight and pocket bouncing are very pronounced / uncomfortable so for the last mile or so I took the Smith out of my pocket and palmed it and finished my walk.

I'm a pretty good size fella and palming the gun is not much of a task and only the barrel sticks out of my hand.

Again it's dark and I very rarely see any neighborhood traffic (other than the fella in his car delivering newspapers) that early so there is no one that would see it and get excited.

We have 'Open Carry' now.......am I legal discreetly hand palming the gun during my walks or does 'Open Carry to the law require the gun to be in a holster ?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1290.2 DEFINITIONS
A. As used in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act:
1. “Concealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person;
2. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt holster or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible;

In my opinion, illegal or not, carrying it in your hand is a bad idea for many reasons.

Have you tried carrying the airweight in your back pocket??

Is there some reason you can't carry openly in a normal holster?

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short answer: hoster required.

Long answer: Open Carry refers to an unconcealed handgun, which is a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on your person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1290.2 DEFINITIONS
A. As used in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act:
1. “Concealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person;
2. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt holster or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible;

According to this, concealed in your hand is not "openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person" and therefore would be legal.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks fellas by law and in black and white it looks like palming my gun unholstered is illegal.....it does make perfect sense that it is illegal though, who wants to see folks walking around carrying guns in there hands everywhere ?

The pants I wear to walk in are just normal comfortable summer shorts with an elastic waist and a drawstring to snug them up with two front pockets, no belt loops and no back pocket....all I carry while walking is my CCW and house keys in my left front pocket and the gun in the right pocket.

I considered a light weight nylon clip on holster under my t-shirt but I'm pretty sure the metal or plastic clip would rub and be uncomfortable.

Not trying to grasp at straws but how about this ?........could I carry legally palm carry the S & W .38 snubby while it's in a light weight nylon holster ?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks fellas by law and in black and white it looks like palming my gun unholstered is illegal.....it does make perfect sense that it is illegal though, who wants to see folks walking around carrying guns in there hands everywhere ?

The pants I wear to walk in are just normal comfortable summer shorts with an elastic waist and a drawstring to snug them up with two front pockets, no belt loops and no back pocket....all I carry while walking is my CCW and house keys in my left front pocket and the gun in the right pocket.

I considered a light weight nylon clip on holster under my t-shirt but I'm pretty sure the metal or plastic clip would rub and be uncomfortable.

Not trying to grasp at straws but how about this ?........could I carry legally palm carry the S & W .38 snubby while it's in a light weight nylon holster ?

Not sure where you get black and white saying concealing your handgun in your hand is illegal. It says nothing about concealed handguns having to be holstered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom