Open carry - Concealed carry question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"...during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop."

That is the wording.
If you are questioned by LE, but are not under arrest, detainment or are the subject of a routine traffic stop, as in for example, you are an eyewitness to a crime, then you don't have to advise them of your carrying, but I'd still do it as a courtesy to the cop.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think thats right at all

TITLE 21 § 1290.8 POSSESSION OF LICENSE REQUIRED-NOTIFICATION TO POLICE OF GUN

C. The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license or valid military identification card as provided for qualified persons in this section and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol. The person shall display the handgun license or a valid military identification card as provided for qualified persons in this section on demand of a law enforcement officer; provided, however, that in the absence of reasonable and articulable suspicion of other criminal activity, an individual carrying an unconcealed or concealed handgun shall not be disarmed or physically restrained unless the individual fails to display a valid handgun license or a valid military identification card as provided for qualified persons in this section in response to that demand. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection may be punishable as a criminal offense as authorized by Section 1272 of this title or pursuant to any other applicable provision of law. Any second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this subsection shall be grounds for the Bureau to suspend the handgun license for a period of six (6) months, in addition to any other penalty imposed.

D. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed or unconcealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be made at the first opportunity. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee when no handgun is in the possession of the person or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).

Per the material sent to me to teach the OK Self Defense Act, says, the word ‘contact’ means ‘conversation with the LEO’.

Two situations here:

1. ‘C’ is when the LEO initiates to see the OK Handgun License. “on demand of a law
enforcement officer”

2. ‘D’ is when we come into ‘contact’ with a LEO 'during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop', it is our responsibility to inform the LEO we have authorized handgun and a license. We initiate the exchange of info.

C and D are from the Nov 1, 2017 SDA.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1290.8 POSSESSION OF LICENSE REQUIRED-NOTIFICATION TO POLICE OF GUN

C. The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license or valid military identification card as provided for qualified persons in this section and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol. The person shall display the handgun license or a valid military identification card as provided for qualified persons in this section on demand of a law enforcement officer; provided, however, that in the absence of reasonable and articulable suspicion of other criminal activity, an individual carrying an unconcealed or concealed handgun shall not be disarmed or physically restrained unless the individual fails to display a valid handgun license or a valid military identification card as provided for qualified persons in this section in response to that demand. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection may be punishable as a criminal offense as authorized by Section 1272 of this title or pursuant to any other applicable provision of law. Any second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this subsection shall be grounds for the Bureau to suspend the handgun license for a period of six (6) months, in addition to any other penalty imposed.

D. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed or unconcealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be made at the first opportunity. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee when no handgun is in the possession of the person or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).

Per the material sent to me to teach the OK Self Defense Act, says, the word ‘contact’ means ‘conversation with the LEO’.

Two situations here:

1. ‘C’ is when the LEO initiates to see the OK Handgun License. “on demand of a law
enforcement officer”

2. ‘D’ is when we come into ‘contact’ with a LEO 'during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop', it is our responsibility to inform the LEO we have authorized handgun and a license. We initiate the exchange of info.

C and D are from the Nov 1, 2017 SDA.
I know what it says brotha. That's not what you said in your previous post.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what it says brotha. That's not what you said in your previous post.
CHenry i am confused now. what is it we are talking about? 'the LEO contacting you' (how many times has a LEO contacted you?) or ' coming into contact with a LEO'. The statute does say, "when the person comes into contact with any law enforcement officer".

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two situations here:

enforcement officer”

That pretty much covers it!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:greetings
I figured as much with his signature. Guess its just my way of poking back. I've been hanging out much longer than I have been posting.
So, you noticed my sig line. Very good.

Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

It might be of interest to some of you (TRidiot, I'll be greatly surprised if you don't know this) that I got it from a book about forensic medicine. It means "Let conversation cease. Let laughter flee. This is the place where death delights to help the living."

It is sometimes attributed to Giovanni Battista Morgagni, one of the pioneers of modern pathology.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, you noticed my sig line. Very good.

Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

It might be of interest to some of you (TRidiot, I'll be greatly surprised if you don't know this) that I got it from a book about forensic medicine. It means "Let conversation cease. Let laughter flee. This is the place where death delights to help the living."

It is sometimes attributed to Giovanni Battista Morgagni, one of the pioneers of modern pathology.

No, sorry, I didn't know that one. I suppose I should be ashamed, maybe. Or maybe not. Or maybe I just need another drank... err... drink.

Latest posts

Top Bottom