Open carry - Concealed carry question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.Farmer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, you noticed my sig line. Very good.

Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

It might be of interest to some of you (TRidiot, I'll be greatly surprised if you don't know this) that I got it from a book about forensic medicine. It means "Let conversation cease. Let laughter flee. This is the place where death delights to help the living."

It is sometimes attributed to Giovanni Battista Morgagni, one of the pioneers of modern pathology.

It is also posted above the entrance of the New York City Medical Examiners office.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is also posted above the entrance of the New York City Medical Examiners office.
Indeed. The book I was referring to was by Milton Helpern and the title was Where Death Delights. Dr Helpern was the Chief ME for New York City for a while. It was an interesting book, but it is long out-of-print.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read recently-can't remember the source-that concealed carry is better than open for various reasons but the one that stuck out at me was...the open carry is the guy that will be taken out first because he is a potential threat to the bad guy. Makes sense to me, I like to surprise people..I'm concealed.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read recently-can't remember the source-that concealed carry is better than open for various reasons but the one that stuck out at me was...the open carry is the guy that will be taken out first because he is a potential threat to the bad guy. Makes sense to me, I like to surprise people..I'm concealed.

As I've said many times before... open carry is legal in many many many states now. And exactly HOW MANY instances of this have we seen? I mean, across the country, truly, how many?

Most people won't encounter a criminal in the commission of a crime at all. Ever. And factor in how many of those extremely rare instances are scouted out in advance by the criminal? Most of them aren't The Italian Job, they're smash and grab, or quick in and quick out, or what-have-you. How many people come in shooting? Or even READY to shoot? Almost NONE... like an infinitesimally small number. And how many of those incidents have we seen a criminal boldly step up and take out someone open carrying? Seriously...

Most of the criminals out there are looking for soft targets. Just like our douche mass shooters. They're not looking to go into a place they know people are likely to be carrying. It. Just. Doesn't. Happen.

I say carry how you like, how you're comfortable and simply be aware of your surroundings. Don't live in fear, and don't let fear of being stuck by a falling piece of toilet ice from an airliner keep you from going outdoors.

Jus' sayin'.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually carry concealed but in cold weather it really doesn’t make much sense to carry under layers of clothes where I can’t reach it so in cold weather I carry owb and covered by a shirt or coat I really don’t care what anyone else does just don’t want anyone knowing I have one

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I've said many times before... open carry is legal in many many many states now. And exactly HOW MANY instances of this have we seen? I mean, across the country, truly, how many?

Most people won't encounter a criminal in the commission of a crime at all. Ever. And factor in how many of those extremely rare instances are scouted out in advance by the criminal? Most of them aren't The Italian Job, they're smash and grab, or quick in and quick out, or what-have-you. How many people come in shooting? Or even READY to shoot? Almost NONE... like an infinitesimally small number. And how many of those incidents have we seen a criminal boldly step up and take out someone open carrying? Seriously...

Most of the criminals out there are looking for soft targets. Just like our douche mass shooters. They're not looking to go into a place they know people are likely to be carrying. It. Just. Doesn't. Happen.

I say carry how you like, how you're comfortable and simply be aware of your surroundings. Don't live in fear, and don't let fear of being stuck by a falling piece of toilet ice from an airliner keep you from going outdoors.

Jus' sayin'.
I agree with you here, but if a poster on the Kansas forum were to read the part I highlighted, his head would explode. There is one way, and one way only to do anything defense-oriented--his way.

His reasoning seems to be that since we are all basically alike, we should all do better with the same system, the striker-fired handgun.

I liked your thought on the toilet ice, BTW. :woohoo1:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
And then there is this:

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2017/12/26/open-carry-firearm-stolen-north-carolina-walmart/

OC has his gun stolen at a North Carolina WallyWorld.

This is true... and yet, we hear about absolutely incredibly rare incidents - in spite of the fact that this is a legal carry option in, what, 45 states now? Something around that. I remember our very own Oklahoma law makers standing on the floor of the House, debating open carry. I personally listened to those disingenuous idiots warning about "blood in the streets" and "shootouts in the street" like the stereotypical f***ing morons we think they are, and yet, here we are - literally YEARS later, and not a single significant incident have I seen or heard of in the State of Oklahoma relating to Open Carry. I am sure there may have been some minor ones, perhaps, and even maybe one or two slightly more serious, but I've not heard anything about them, in spite of the MSM's tendency to jump on such incidents to vilify gun owners and make us look like idiots.

I'm just saying - it's an incredibly rare thing, and falling toilet ice isn't going to stop me from living my life.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every one has there own reason for carrying whether its open or concealed.For me carrying iwb is like wearing a tie and being uncomfortable when there is no reason to.Most of my shirts I wear are long enough to cover my gun unless I am carrying my G34 to the range.The guy who was told by the old lady she should take his gun and shoot him in the knee was carrying iwb.I was carrying owb and she never even noticed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom