Open Carry News...did anyone else see this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My bad. I got an email last night and it was a link at the bottom, must of been last weeks story. Just trying to stay on top of the issue and pass on anything I hear. Saw an update on facebook this morning that I know is up to date:

====================
HB2522 is on the Senate Calendar for today. It should get it's 2nd reading, and then get assigned to the Senate Public Safety committee. We will post updates as more information becomes available. -Bryan
====================

You are right about the Senate needing to get its bills out of the way first. Here is an update from Monday that I don't think got posted here. It's got a few dates in it:

====================
HB2522 is available for second reading. Second reading means it will be assigned to committee. The Senate has until the 15th to get it's own bills out of the chamber so those will take priority. After the bill is assigned to committee, they have until April 5 to get it out of committee and back to the floor. After it is back to the floor, they have until April 26 to deal with it by the full chamber. The senate public safety committee meets on Thursdays so we won't know until the Wednesday before what they will discuss for sure. Although I would probably start next week and gently urge the senate public safety chair to have early hearings on this bill so any issues can be resolved in a timely mannor.
====================

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
***IMPORTANT NOTICE***
SB1733 passed the senate floor today 34 - 9. Why is this so important? SB1733 is the senate open carry bill. This means that both chambers have passed an open carry bill this session. The senate bill would allow all judges to carry in courthouses, while the house version makes no change to this. The senate version also has no preemption clause or an officer checking the permit clause. Since both houses passed similar bills, I imagine that open carry will end up in conference and with luck, will not get killed there.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have probably already learned of this info.. but if you go to the State legislatures web site.. you can get e-mails sent to you concerning current bills. It is easy to set-up and will keep you informed of where the bills are in the process. I just got this one tonight.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:30 PM OKLAHOMA LEGISLATIVE ELECTRONIC NOTIFICATION SYSTEM (LENS)

Current status of measure(s) you are tracking:

HB2522 Firearms; clarifying manner in which firearms may be carried by handgun licensees; effective date.
3/15/2012 S Second Reading referred to Public Safety

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HB2522 has now officially been assigned to the Senate Public Safety Committee.

Call Sen Barrington's office to ask for HB2522 to be heard as soon as possible. He's the one that puts it on the Senate Public Safety Committee agenda. It's on the calendar, but that just lets them know everything thats currently possible to consider looking at. When it gets on the Agenda it will actually be heard by the Committee. Call him, this weekend, leave a voicemail and urge him to get it heard as soon as possible. The Senate Public Safety Committee meets every Thursday, he could get it heard as early as next week if he wants to. The number is 405-521-5563. Try to fill up his voicemail box. If you call during the week, his assistant is very nice.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alert from OK2A today:

Open Carry To Be Heard By Senate Committee
Mar 25, 2012 01:00 am | Tim Gillespie

Three important bills, open carry among them, will possibly be heard by the Senate Public Safety Committee this Thursday. Last week, Senator Barrington, chairman of the committee, gave a not so firm commitment to hear House Bills 2522, 2988, and 2416 during the committee meeting this week on Thursday at 9:30 am.
HB2522 is Rep. Martin's open carry bill, which includes several other elements of OK2A's agenda. The Senate author is Sen. Treat.
HB2988 is Rep. Ritze's Castle Doctrine bill, which adds "places of worship" to Oklahoma's Castle Doctrine law. The Senate author is Sen. Russell.
HB2416 is Rep. Enns' bill, which includes language to prohibit the government from confiscating weapons or restricting the otherwise legal use, sale, and possession of firearms during declared states of emergency. It also provides for legal recourse if a person's Second Amendment rights are violated during a state of emergency. The Senate author is Sen. Russell.
Please call Senator Barrington and politely urge him to make sure these bills get a hearing as soon as possible. He may be reached at 405-521-5563 or [email protected].
Also, contact the other members of the committee and urge them to vote yes on these bills.

Senator Ralph Shortey (Vice Chairman)
405-521-5557
[email protected]

Senator Roger Ballenger
405-521-5588
[email protected]

Senator Kim David
405-521-5590
[email protected]

Senator Earl Garrison
405-521-5533
[email protected]

Senator Constance Johnson
405-521-5531
[email protected]

Senator Ron Justice
405-521-5537
[email protected]

Senator Steve Russell
405-521-5618
[email protected]

Senator Anthony Sykes
405-521-5569
[email protected]

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I already contacted Sen. Barrington about getting hearings for these bills and got this reply:

"March 26, 2012

Thank you for your email. SB 1733 is the Senate version of the open carry bill and it passed the Senate last week with my supporting vote.

HB 2522 by Treat of the Senate seems to be the bill getting all the attention, and it is in the Senate committee process at this time. The bill came over with several amendments from the House creating issues with the measure and it is believed that the Senate author is now looking at these amendments to determine the next course of action for the legislation. We still have two weeks of committee work for this bill to be heard, so there is plenty of time for this legislation to be considered. I appreciate your inquiry. Feel free to contact this office at any time. Senator Greg Treat (R), Oklahoma City, can be reached at contact information below.

Capitol Address:

Senator Greg Treat
2300 N. Lincoln Blvd., Rm. 530
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405) 521-5632
[email protected]
Executive Assistant: Janet Muller

Respectfully,
Sandra
SANDRA SHELTON, Executive Assistant
Senator Don Barrington
Oklahoma Senate District 31
(405) 521-5563"

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just talked with Senator Barrington's assistant and she said the Senator is considering hearing the bill before the committee. She also said that it was with Senator Treat for his approval since it had amendments. She made an interesting comment that one of the amendments had a significant impact on the OSBI which Senator Treat was looking at. I'm guessing the amendment she was referring to is the mailing of licenses to individuals instead of the local sheriff. I can't see why this would be a significant impact.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't see why this would be a significant impact.

I can see an impact if they don't include funding....mailing every permit individually requires a lot more time and postage than it does to batch permits and send to one central address by county. Miniscule on a single scale, but multiply that by how many thousands of permits a year? Someone has to do the work, and someone has to pay for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom